How would you answer these questions from your child?

What does it mean to be homosexual/gay?
How do we know if we are straight or gay?
If someone is being teased for being gay, do I defend the person being teased?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Q1: homosexuals like ppl of the same gender as them in the same way that mommy loves daddy.
    Q2: that is a question only you can answer over time (young answer). do you want to date men or women? which are you attracted to? (older answer).
    Q3: you NEVER bully someone b/c they are different! if you see someone doing this defend them, but if violence is involved get an adult quick!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i would tell them about love and attraction,like you know how mommy loves daddy well there are different ways to love, and explain that when you know you just do.....and you should always defend someone in need of help, judging others because of the way they love is never ok. thats just me though
    lilsbiggestfan

Answer by lilsbiggestfan at 5:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I like the first posters answer. But a lot of what you say should depend on the age of the child.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• UGH - I dont know
    I fail lol
    I honestly dont know how to answer any of the big questions
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I've sort of had this discussion with my twins. I forgot what we were watching, but a guy kissed another guy(i think it was that movie with adam sandler in it and kevin james), they saw the two guys kiss and it was just a quick kiss. And they said "ewww gross they kissed." and I said "some men kiss other men it's okay but not all men do that." That's all I said. They didn't ask why, or anything else. I don't want them to learn that it's okay to judge others because they are different, whether it's religion, color of skin, sexual orientation, mental disability, or the way they wear their hair.

to answer the second question, I'd just be upfront and tell them "well, when you are old enough to date, we can talk about this in more detail. But you're too young to worry about this now." Then address it at the appropriate time.

Running out of space to answer the third question, but i think they should.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• What does it mean to be homosexual/gay? It means that you like people that are the same sex as you are, and are attracted to them (edit content based on age of child).

How do we know if we are straight or gay? That is something that only you can know, and time will tell you for certain how you feel.

If someone is being teased for being gay, do I defend the person being teased? You should ALWAYS stand up for what you believe is right, bullying is wrong. If someone needs your help, and you can help them, you should.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• What does it mean to be homosexual/gay?--same sex couples having a relationship with the others
    How do we know if we are straight or gay? God calls for us to procreat if you have urges for members of the same sex you finght it just as a rapist or child molester is expeted to surpress their sexual desires. controlling our sex drive is healthy and we must all do it.
    If someone is being teased for being gay, do I defend the person being teased? of course and I don't want to hear of teasing anyone for any reason.
    Anonymous

• " God calls for us to procreat if you have urges for members of the same sex you finght it just as a rapist or child molester is expeted to surpress their sexual desires. controlling our sex drive is healthy and we must all do it. "

Do you tell them that they should suppress their sexual desires when they are straight? And how is being gay have ANYTHING to do with a rapist or pedophile?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• What does it mean to be homosexual/gay? well honey some times a daddy like another daddy and they decide to become a family
    How do we know if we are straight or gay? as you get older you will just know

If someone is being teased for being gay, do I defend the person being teased? try and find a teacher first but if you cant, then yes
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• : sahmamax2 is there something seriously freaking wrong with you? you just related homosexuality to VIOLENT OFFENDERS OF CHILDREN? WTF
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2010