will you / did you buy a car for your teenage child while they were still at home going to high school?

Was it financially difficult?
Was it new/used?
Did you pay for the car outright or did child pitch in?
Who pays the insurance? Who pays for the gas?
What was your reason for purchasing a car for your child?

Or did you not purchase a car for your teen..... if so what was your reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No, I haven't and, no, I won't. If they want a car, they can work for it just like I did. if they're still living at home when they go to college, then I might help them get one.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• IF I can afford it AND he is responsible I will buy him one when that time comes. It will be used though. My first car was an 88 Ford Festiva LMAO
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I plan on HELPING them get a car - my parents did it for my brother and I - they will pay for it, but I will help them if they need it.

dh's resisting on this one (which is why I'm starting on him now) - his parents were horrible people.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• my oldest si 25yo my youngest is 17yo, a middle child too.

None of them had a car ever bought for them. Two drive, one our youngest does not.

In highschool only one used a car that was a bit after 9/11. Worriesome time. He drove a car in our name our insurance that was a hand me down but he paid for gas and he worked in his senior year.

Our middle one she had no reason to have a car in high school years after our oldest child so she didn't get one.

And our youngest is 17 a junior in hs but I won't let her drive cause she's too much of a character to be allowed that right in high school. She needs to slow down her hormones and put some growth in her emotions before she's allowed to drive.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We would like the kids driving for at least a solid year before they go away to college. I want to know they have some experience. They are welcome to use our car... but Ill have to think hard about buying them their own car.

When i was a kid my dad gave me one summer to earn money and at the end of that summer he matched me dollar for dollar and I bought a car... with him helping me choose. Im not opposed to that but cars are soooo much more expensive than they were back in the day. Im not sure my kids could save enough money for a safe car unless they started saving now (currently 7th grade and 9th grade)

Anonymous

• No I did not buy a car for my teens. Cars are for people who can aford them.

Answer by louise2 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• NOpe and HECK NO
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I plan to either buy, or help my teen buy a car when she hits 16. She'll have to follow our rules and pay her insurance though. My parents got me a car, and I was able to drive myself to school, work, and help my mom out with my brothers and shopping. I had a lot of responsibility, and I want my DD to have some too. With DH and I BOTH working, she really won't get to use OUR CARS.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Not a chance. If she wants a car, she needs to pay for it, and the $2,000 a year for insurance and gas and maintenance.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The high school doesn't allow them to have cars on campus so there's no need there. As they turn 16 and get their license, we add them to our insurance and they can use one of our cars if it's available, they have a good reason to use it, and stay responsible. My parents got me a car after I was out of high school and working but when I went away to college, it stayed with them. There are too many inexperienced young drivers with their own cars and no feelings of responsiblity for taking care of them, it seems to me.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2010