What kind of job (if any) does your teenager have?

Did you incourage your high school teenager to get a job?
If so, what was your reasoning?
If not, what was your reasoning?
Did they choose to on thier own?

If they do work... what kind of job do they have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter's high school discourages afterschool jobs, preferring students to focus on academics and school sponsored activities that will look great on a college application. That said, she is a Red Cross certified babysitter and sits one night a week during the school year; much more over breaks and summer.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I ensouraged my kids to get jobs as soon as they could, around age 15. My oldest daughter works at Chik-Fil-A, teaches swim lessons, and lifeguards. My younger daugher also teaches swim lessons and hopes to lifeguard as soon as she's 16. I think kids need to learn how to handle having their own money as soon as possible, not later when it can really screw up their life. Also, it's very interesting how they suddenly are great sales shoppers and don't want as much junk when they have to spend their own money.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• OP here....

I should have also asked if the jobs were year round or just durning summers.
    Anonymous

• We homeschooled. One son worked at a grocery store bagging groceries the other worked at Subway. They both started working at 15. They both wanted to work. The older got to keep his money and only had to work part time. As the younger got older he had to work more hours and pay things like utility bills because we didn't have enough money to survive without his income.

The younger son resented working so much, that he didn't get to spend much time homeschooling, and that he had to pay bills. He couldn't pass his GED when he was 17 or start college. It just took him longer. He is now 21 and has a good job, has bought a house with a pool, and is in college. He doesn't resent working now. Most people his age haven't even had a real job yet.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My daughter who works at CFA works very part-time and not during swim team season. The swim lessons/lifeguarding is very part-time during the school year but I'll encourage them to work as much as they want during the summer. Better than hanging around, getting in trouble! And I would never consider having them paying any household bills. When we're having financial problems, we cut back and/or get more or better-paying jobs. Their money should be theirs except in extreme emergencies.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My daughter is only 15... Im surprised there are places that hire that young. I was under the impression you had to be 16 to hold a job.

Anyway she has been looking in to volunteering for a day camp... in hopes of getting a paying position summer 2011 when she will be 16. However, a sleep over camp which she really wants to do would conflict with club soccer. Leaving her with out a high school sport and WAY too much time on her hands during the school year. So I am encouraging her to look into day camps.

Im not opposed to them working but only during summer and only part time... school comes first. She is at an accelerated school so in one term she learns as much as the other high schools teach in one full year. The homework load really is conducive to employment.

Anonymous

• Did you incourage your high school teenager to get a job? We encouraged them to work as soon as they became Juniors in high school though they started doing shoveling and lwan mowing long before then

If so, what was your reasoning? It teaches them responsibility. If they wanted money for social activities & if they wanted cars they needed have jobs. We weren't paying for their social lives.

Did they choose to on thier own? As I said, all 4 staretd working at around 11 mowing lawns and shoveling snow to have spending money. As soon as they could work 9the summer in between the 10th and 11th grade) they did so.

Is it year round or summer? Year round

If they do work... what kind of job do they have? My older 2 worked at Taco Bell and my younger 2 work at a grocery store where they are cart boys/cashiers 7 my 18yo also works in produce. They work 16-23 hours a week as long as they don't have sports or drama going on.
    Anonymous

• I do not encourage my children to have afterschool jobs. Their academics were/are more important. Now, my oldest twin has a summer/Christmas job with a local grocery chain during his college breaks. His twin is currently trying to finish his law enforcement training and certification and is actively looking for a full time career position.
    My younger 2, (one 15, one almost 13) will not be getting afterschool or even summer jobs. One they are a bit young and two we are able to give them what they need and ask that they do things around the house for "payment". They have to mow the lawn, rake leaves, do dishs, clean 3 bathrooms, feed animals, shovel poop in the backyard, keep front areas of the house free and clear of their clutter, etc.
    Anonymous

• Anon :21, Anon:29 here. Working hasn't affected my sons academics at all. My 18yo has a 4.3GPA and my 19yo has a 3.8GPA. Colleges actually prefer to see that students work and are involved in various activities as well. A student who is not involved in antyhing and who doesn't work & who gets a 3.5 or better GPA or better really doesn't impress them. They better get good grades, they have nothing but time to focus on grades. A student who plays football, runs track, is in drama, volunteers within their community AND who work 16-20+ hours a week AND maintains high grades. That's the kind of student they want at their school.
    Anonymous

• My daughter, now age 16, started working at 15 as a lifeguard and teaching swim classes at the local community center. She loved it. Her hours are usually only 3:30 to 6:30 or 6:30 to 9:00. So its not to late at night and either shift she worked she would have time to do homework and have dinner with the family. We either ate early or late depending on her hours. She also is a cheerleader, so sometimes she does get spread thin. She also knows that if her grades were to suffer, she would be without a job and not cheerleading. When she was younger I was told she had ADD/ADHD. So she has more energy than I can dream of having. Having a job actually keeps her out of trouble....with boys mostly. She doesn't have time :) She has been there a year now and loves it. She knows her schedule in advance and can get more shifts or exchange shifts as needed to meet school required activities.
    Marymomac

Answer by Marymomac at 2:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010