What kind of volunteering does your teenager do?

Off the post about your high school teen having a job... did you also or instead encourage them to volunteer?

If they do, where do they volunteer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Twice a week, she is the homework helped at the afterschool program she attended. She occasionally volunteers in the maternal/child education department of a local hospital (my sister is an educator there). In the summer, she volunteers at a local daycamp.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My children all volunteer through our church. They have aided with Bible School in the summer. Gone through ASP an helped rehab houses in the poor mountain areas of the Southeastern US. They help teach on Wednesday nights. They've helped pack dehydrated meals that go to Africa, Haiti, and other areas that need food. They clean the roadside around the local HS once a quarter. Yes, my children volunteer their time.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Mine are involved in a big sister/big brother program that matches high school students with elem. school student, they volunteer at the post office when they do their food drive & help collect & sort food, they volunteer at community events to help w/clean up, they volunteered 4 years ago after a massive flood in our area & helped with trash cleanup & they are involved in a peer mentoring group. My 19yo has also been volunteering as an aide for a summer water program (for students who are in between grades 7 and 8) since the summer in between the 8th & 9th grade and last year (because he was 18) he was an instructor (as a vounteer, it's an unpaid position). They need 100 hours of community service hours collected between grades 9-12 (mine are both seniors) to graduate here but they will both have close to 400 hours (collected between grades 9 and now) when they graduate in May.
    Anonymous

• He plays lead guitar for the church band and is the Youth Ministry Liason to the Pastor. That's enough right now I think.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2010