I want to scream...What should I do?

We live in a 2 bedroom apt. It isn’t very big for 3 people as it is. We also have a cat and a dog. They aren’t big animals but they take up space too. Our dog pees and poops everywhere. We have tried everything to get him to stop. He is crate trained but he still goes all over. We have to keep all the doors shut in the apt bc he pees on the beds. We have a cat that climbs on everything and breaks things. She scratches at our bedroom door ALL night. It is impossible to sleep. If we let her in she bites at us all night or climbs on everything. It sucks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Pets

• ... Both animals shed really bad. The place is covered in hair. Our daughter is very allergic to it. She coughs all the time really bad. I try to keep the hair up but I am only one person. I am a full time student and I work part time. I have my hands full. I have tried to talk to my husband about the condition of our place and he freaks out about having to get rid of the animals.
    My first thought isn’t to give them away but I can’t take care of the mess alone. Plus they drive me crazy. I love animals and I do love them but I never have a moment of peace with all the mess they make and how needy they are. Our dog runs away a lot too. He just frustrates us so much. My husband will bathe him in our tub and leave the tub full of his hair and dead skin. It makes me sick. I have to go in and clean it. He says he will clean it but he never does it. There will be hair on my bathroom stuff and it makes me mad.
    Anonymous

• ...After I do laundry the cat and dog will get into it and get hair all over the clean clothes. Or the dog pees on it before I have a chance to put it away. I am so tired and just plain burned out from living like this. I love them but I would not mind finding them another home. I just can’t take it anymore. My husband said if he didn’t start helping we could find them homes but he hasn’t helped and he still does not want to part with them. I don’t want to be the one who gave away the pets. What should I do?
    Anonymous

• I would tell him it is him or the pets, but some beast will be leaving before the end of the week! d: hehe he!

I would tell him that he broke his promise to help you take care of the animals and now they have to leave. That with work and school and the kids, the pests are too much and they are not getting the attention they deserve and they need to find homes where people can take care of the appropriately.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• How often are you taking your dog out? Dogs don't pee inside if they are taken out regularly. It sounds like they both are lacking attention maybe too. People like you should not have animals. Maybe you should give them to someone who can care for them properly since you obviously can't.
    Anonymous

• Anon:40...that is exactly what she is trying to do, but her husband keeps bullying her to keep them. If anyone is looking out for the best interest of the animals it is the OP. Give her a break! No need to be rude and mean to her.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The animals are not happy.. you are not happy.. Please give these pets to someone who has the time, patenience and will be able to care for them better.
    Anonymous

• Suck up your pride. You can't do it alone.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I would get rid of them, if for no other reason, or your childrens' health. It isn't safe or healthy to be around dog and cat urine/feces.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• You need to get them new homes. If you can't then just go ahead and take them to a shelter. There is no shame in finding these pets homes that will be able to take better care of them. Pets need more then just food, water, and a place to sleep. They need constant supervision and love, attention and discipline too. Living in your apartment it is as if they are just in a shelter already. So do them a favor and give them the chance to find homes that will do more with them. I am not trying to make you sound like a bad person, beause you are not. You seem to care more about them then your husband, because you want more for them. Thats quite honorable. If he continues to not help- then find a local no-kill shelter and just take them against his will. In order to housebreak a dog, you need to be willing to take them out like every hour at first to get them use to the concept. If he can't do that then he really doesn't care enough.
    Anonymous

• OP: We agreed to get the dog together. We wanted to get the dog for our daughter so she could have a pet to care for. But he won't let her take care of him. He feels she is too young. We fight all the time about how silly that is. I think she should help too. What is dumb is that he went and got a cat now too. We could barely take care of the dog and agree on how to share the responsibilities and now we have 2 pets. I want to give them a better home but I know we are in no position to do that. We are both gone most of the day and when we get home we are busy. The dog doesn't get walked enough at all. I have told my family we need to do it but I can't do it alone. My husband will not work with me but will not part with them. It is making me nuts.
    Anonymous