DS: Too sensitive?

My son is 18 months old, and for about the last 2 months, he's been extremely sensitive. Like his daddy or i will tell him "no"- like just say no, firmly, but not yelling or anything, and he starts BAWLING! "No," "Don't do that," "Stop," etc ALL make him burst out crying for seemingly NO REASON!! Ugh! I'm about at my wit's end with all this crying and whining. Is this a normal phase kids go through (1st time mom here) or are we just bad parents

JamarisMommy731

Asked by JamarisMommy731 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's normal for some kids, and it doesn't mean you are bad parents. I have 3 kids; one is like this and he hasn't been raised any different than the other two. He's 2 1/2 now, and it's not as bad as it was a year ago if that's any consolation. GL!
    Anonymous

• This is a good thing. Your toddler wants to please. Not like the toddlers that ignore everyone that tells them no or like the ones that scream no back and hit or bite their parents.

Just be careful about saving no or stop for big things. Running out in the street, touching something hot, the really big things. For other things you might use a noise that is not as bad as no. With my grandson we say uh uh quietly and he will know he is busted. He will usually freeze but not crumple and cry.

My grandson is 16 mo and I know what you mean about the whining and crying. It can help if you teach some signs. A lot of it is frustration because he can't communicate. The first thing I taught him was clapping and even that helped a lot.

Here is a good article about saying no.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My son did that, too. I would distract him with a toy. He would usually calm down in a few minutes. Let me tell you, he made the SADDEST face in the world when I would tell him no. It almost broke my heart...but then as soon as I turned my back, he would be right back to doing what I told him not to do. Manipulation at its best, LOL.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 6:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2010