I want to scream...What should I do?

We live in a 2 bedroom apt. It isn’t very big for 3 people as it is. We also have a cat and a dog. They aren’t big animals but they take up space too. Our dog pees and poops everywhere. We have tried everything to get him to stop. He is crate trained but he still goes all over. We have to keep all the doors shut in the apt bc he pees on the beds. We have a cat that climbs on everything and breaks things. She scratches at our bedroom door ALL night. It is impossible to sleep. If we let her in she bites at us all night or climbs on everything. It sucks....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• ... Both animals shed really bad. The place is covered in hair. Our daughter is very allergic to it. She coughs all the time really bad. I try to keep the hair up but I am only one person. I am a full time student and I work part time. I have my hands full. I have tried to talk to my husband about the condition of our place and he freaks out about having to get rid of the animals.
    My first thought isn’t to give them away but I can’t take care of the mess alone. Plus they drive me crazy. I love animals and I do love them but I never have a moment of peace with all the mess they make and how needy they are. Our dog runs away a lot too. He just frustrates us so much. My husband will bathe him in our tub and leave the tub full of his hair and dead skin. It makes me sick. I have to go in and clean it. He says he will clean it but he never does it. There will be hair on my bathroom stuff and it makes me mad.
    Anonymous

• ...After I do laundry the cat and dog will get into it and get hair all over the clean clothes. Or the dog pees on it before I have a chance to put it away. I am so tired and just plain burned out from living like this. I love them but I would not mind finding them another home. I just can’t take it anymore. My husband said if he didn’t start helping we could find them homes but he hasn’t helped and he still does not want to part with them. I don’t want to be the one who gave away the pets. What should I do?
    Anonymous

• I didn't read all this..I just got to the part where you have animals that your kid is allergic to but you still have them. That's stupid. Your choosing animals over your kid? No matter how much you pick up hair, or even if your animals stop shedding, it's still in the air and your daughter can have serioius reactions to it. Shame on you.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The part that sticks out the most to me is where you say your daughter is allergic to the pet hair & coughs all the time - that right there would be the animal deal-breaker for me - it's time to put your daughter's health first and find a new home, or new homes, for the animals. I would have gotten rid of them the instant one of my kids had a reaction. I'm sorry if that makes me sound like a mean/bad person, but my kids & their health come first. Say goodbye and find somewhere for the animals ASAP.
    Anonymous

• Wow...sounds like a very stressful thing to be going on. It isn't an easy decision...animals do become part of you like family. Do you have an option at all of moving to a bigger home? If not....if it were me...I would begin searching for a home that would adopt your pets. It all just sounds like too much to handle. Even with your child being allergic....if all the hair and mess were controlable..there would be a way to keep the pets...but it just sounds like too much. Good Luck, hope it all works out!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Child is allergic = no more indoor pets. Take some pictures and post them as free to good home on Craigslist or give them to realtives or friends. Whatever you do you need to get them out of your home soon. Maybe get your pediatrician to tell your husband the same thing, and then your he will be hearing it from someone besides you. GL!
    Anonymous

• I think your dog could use more exercise no matter how often you think you potty him or walk him exercise without specific potty reasons dogs need exercise. Can you get to a pet park or early morning to a non pet park for jogging or leash free time? He's got to be walked more.

Also is he fixed? He's gotta go out about twenty minutes after eating plus other times during the day.

And your cat could be upset over the stress of a small place too - some cats are very emotional others are antisocial. Can you set up a dog/cat bed for each in your bedroom and settle them in before you go to bed so they see inclusion not exclusion?

Maybe too google on the internet or discovery channel that English woman Victoria who trains problem animals also the guy the Dog Whisperer.

I think they're telling you THEY feel they aren't getting enough hugs or scratches from you or cuddles. Most housepets like human babies need lots attention.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• First of all your daughter is allergic so that should be a deal breaker. What is wrong with your husband? Is he resentful over your child, it isn't his daughter? Pets require a lot of attention and they shed because they aren't being taken care of properly. They deserve better and the main point is your child deserves better.
    Anonymous

• get rid of the damn animals
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Agree with mommymeg.. My DH had a dog that showed his teeth to me once, when DH came home from work the next day the dog was GONE... He got over it quick.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2010