I have questions about pre-menopause, My mom said it comes early in her family, but she's passed away and can't ask her this

I just turned 40 and my period comes when it wants, like every 40 days or so.
If I wear short sleeves I'm cold, if I wear long sleeves I'm boiling. I can't get the right body temp., ever! and I really hate people. I just want to be left alone, but not feeling depressed...just feeling of people in the same room as me are just on my nerves!! GRR...lol
I get headaches instead of cramps and slammed with a "light" feeling, like I'm in a fog. I just want to sleep but I'm always very hot or very cold.
is it a sign of things to come? (pre-menopause)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Health

• I'm postmenopause - try talking to your doctor. I wore layers to feel better per flash. In the winter my excuse to others was I was warm from heat in a room or cold from the outside weather. In the summer I'd give my flashes as an excuse that it was the summer heat or summer breeze making me cool or chilled.

Also I worse shirts with red or brighter colors in them to offset the flushes of red in my cheeks I'd get periodically. And still now even I keep a think pamphlet of some kind in my purse or pocket to fan myself with when needed - again it's the heat of the room -room temp too high from so many people in or or room temp set to high. And summer flashes my excuses of layering were weather breezes or hot air.

Try layering and those suggestions. I don't know about herbs as menopause reiievers and I chose to not use medical doctors' prescribed hormones. It was just easier to layer clothing.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It's called perimenopause if you would like to look it up. You can have perimenopause for years and you don't really know for sure if it's perimenopause until you have gone through menopause. There are lots of symptoms you can have. Learning stress reduction techniques can help a lot.

Doctors told me when I was in my 30s that I was in perimenopause because I had abnormal periods. I didn't go through menopause until I was 51 so I spent a lot of years in peri- (lol). I decided I wasn't going to make a big deal over menopause. Hot flashes were/are bad for me because I have Graves disease (a thyroid disorder) and have problems with heat regulation.

Peri means around. Even after menopause I am having hot flashes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• sounds like a dr visit is in order hon!
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• op here~
    I do wear a short sleeve shirt and a button down long sleeve. I take off the long sleeve to cool down then get chilled then put it back on....my family probably wonders when I'm going to make up my mind, about what shirt to wear! lol
    Anonymous

• hey op, hi. Just continue doing that like I said that's what I did. Just give the excuses like I did in my earlier post. It can go on for lots of years.

It's up to your doctor and you about hormones. it's a personal decision. It probably won't go away for quite some time to tell you the truth. Maybe it's something you just have to work on accepting mentally to allow yourself to be comfortable taking on off a sweater, moving closer to a door to be cooler then putting a longer sleeve back on.

That can be done comfortably - just don't comment on it too much - if someone does just say the hot cold weather/ hot cold room is a little troublesome sometimes and just continue chatting or shopping, working whatever. Keep a thin sweater with you, get a bigger purse there are some good sizes that are still feminine to hold a neatly folder thin sweater for comfort and discretion of use.

My mom's alive but she never talked.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• op here~ yeah my mom was an open book, she would talk about pretty much anything sometimes to much TMI...and she'd just look at me and say "well it's true" lol.....yeah she never gave much thought about sugar coating things, lol
    Anonymous

• I went through menopause early too. Once I started, it took a long time but I got through it; thank God...lol. I hated people too so what I did was ask my doctor if he could give me something for the mood problems. I take Celexa and it works wonderfully. (I was screaming at my husband, kids and even my dogs.) There is one thing that I've heard from alot of my older women friends though, and that is the earlier you start going through it, the sooner you finish. So who knows?..lol

mambalamba

Answer by mambalamba at 1:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2010