How to wean....

So I have a 18 month old son that is still breastfed. I also am currently pregnant. Now I know that I can nurse while being pregnant, but I'm trying to prepare for the new baby. What is a good way to wean my son without using bottles or formula as a substitute?

MomCakes

Asked by MomCakes at 6:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• use warm milk in a sippy cup
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 6:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• an 18 month old is too old for formula anyway
    Anonymous

• There's a great book called "How Weaning Happens." Most moms find that dropping one feeding every week or so is easy. The night nursing is usually last to go, but for us, it was the first morning nursing that was last to go.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I would suggest weaning slowly. When I weaned my oldest son at 18 months we dropped one feeding at a time with about a week in between. First was the feeding at nap time (replaced by reading 2 stories) then was the feeding 1st thing in the morning (replaced by a sippy of milk). I had my husband give the first two milk sippies to help transition my son. Finally I cut the night time feeding. I dropped 5 minutes each week (replacing it with a story and some cuddles) until there was no nursing (then I hid my boppy). good luck

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It may be helpful to know that about 50% of toddlers will wean on their own while mom is pregnant. You will likely start to produce less milk due to the hormones of pregnancy and he may begin to lose interest. One thing to try is called "don't offer, don't refuse". You don't offer to nurse, and at the same time do your best to avoid situations when you know he may ask to nurse. If he does ask to nurse, you let him. This is because sometimes when a toddler hears NO, it will suddenly make them cling tighter and ask for it even more. Try this for a couple of weeks and then see if you need to take a stronger stand.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I have 9 weeks left of my pregnancy, and my 18 month old still hasnt weaned. But I read that it is a good bonding experience for siblings to feed at the same time. And a lot of toddlers that are weaned will try to go back to the boob after the new baby comes...so i am just letting it happen naturally. I don't feel like it is something to rush, as long as the new baby gets all they need first. Because my 18 month old doesn't depend on the milk, it is mainly for comfort now.
    december911

Answer by december911 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• rkoloms, did you read your link? It makes no sense in the context of this question. Offering a 6 m/o bite-sized food and foregoing baby food? I would think this 18 m/o is eating already. Did you mean to link something else from the site? Sorry, I don't get it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• OP, just realize that I didn't answer you. I don't know that much about weaning, but was thinking along the same lines as december911. It seems that he may want to nurse after the baby comes, even if for a short while. He's sure to want to make sure that you still love him, too. It would be hard if he saw it as a rejection. Not saying he would, but good luck in whatever you decide.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2010