How long does it take biracial babies to get their color?

My daughter just had are first baby and we were just wondering. Not that it matters, as we are all head of heels in love with the baby. She is blond and fair and dad is black and very dark. I know that babies aren't born with their pigment and was just wondering how long it takes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes they don't. I know a couple who are literally night and day. She is fair skinned, red headed... he could walk off into the night and not be seen until he smiles. they have 3 children. all of which are very light, and have red hair. (yes, they are his bio kids- the first was born out of wedlock, and was tested).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My daughter's father is hispanic and also very dark, but my DD is about the whitest baby you've ever seen. People ask all the time if "I'm sure" he is her dad, and there isn't any other possibility, so yea, I know he's her dad, but you would never know by lookin at them.
    Anonymous

• My husband is half black and I am white. We have 4 kids. 1 looks mexican, one looks black, one looks white, and the last is jus tan. So thay are all going to be different color. It depends on blood line too. I have heard of 2 black people having a white baby and 2 white people haveing a black baby and it is their bio kids.
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It all depends on the baby. My oldest has only a light olive colored skin and my son looks just like his father. Including skin color. You could never tell my DD was biracial if I didn't say anything. Like you said, it does not matter. Isn't it amazing, no matter what the baby looks like, how much a baby can change your life? One little thing, and your whole life is turned around.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The older sister of one of my high school class mates was married to about the darkest AA man I've ever met. Their first daughter was born looking as fair as her mother. By the time the baby was about a year old, she had some color. Definitely not as dark as her dad but looking at her, you could tell she had some AA traits in her. Beautiful girl, beautiful family.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 8:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I am a dark-skinned black woman, and my daughter's father is white. At 19 months of age, she hasn't darkened much at all. There are photos of her on my profile page if you want to take a look.

Does she have African American features? Her lips and her nose, definitely. She's a cutie.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Look at the nail beds and if there is a distinct pigment difference that is the color the child will eventually even out too, if there is no difference they are as they are. Some children though will darken a lot in the summer as they may tan easily.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2010