when does breastfeeding get easier?

i just had my baby boy on the 3rd, i had planned to exclusively breastfeed. but my nipples hurt so bad i cant, i had my bf get a small can of formula and ive been doing both. my milk started coming in yesterday and my boobs are huge and hard as a rock! they hurt so bad. i have been using nipple cream on my nipples but they are still really sore. when will it get easier? i dont like giving him the formula because he gets really gassy after, but breastfeeding just hurts so much i need a little break. i tried pumping but wow that hurts really bad too, and i barley even got an ounce in what seemed like a lifetime of pumping. any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It takes 2-3 weeks, and then it won't hurt anymore. Don't give up!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 6:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Honestly, I would say after a month is when I though, wow, it doesn't hurt anymore. But it gets less and less each day. Try not to use the formula. You really want to breast feed every time to build up your supply. It does get better. Don't give up, you can do it!
    Anonymous

• if they hurt that bad, he isn't latched properly and is gnawing on your nipple. make sure he opens wide, and shove as much boob in his mouth as you can.

express a small amount of milk first... you can do it by hand, you don't need a pump, if you are engorged, it will be hard to properly latch.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Use lanolin. That really helped. Don't give up. I wouldn't mix the two. ITs hard on his system and your milk supply may not be enough if you continue not to bf regularly.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Don't give up!! It took me about 3 weeks to feel comfortable. I promise it's worth the pain at first!! The more you do it the quicker it will be more comfortable.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The whole "not latching on properly" isn't always true. My LOs always latched on good, but it still hurt the first couple of weeks. I do have larger breasts which may have something to do with it.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Oh yes honey, it gets easier, and I promise you will have it down within a month! My son is 4 months old and we are having absolutely NO issues at all anymore. It's become really like second nature, no pain, no frustration, no huge sore boobs. Just give it a little time.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 7:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It stops hurting a few weeks after, but I would suggest letting your nipples airdry with breastmilk on them after each nursing session. Breastmilk has amazing healing properties...and just remember the lanolin doesn't help it heal it is just like chapstick for nipples. Dont wash your nipples in shower. Contact a lactation consultant and have her check the latch. Also throw away the formula...it is shooting yourself in the foot. You need to feed the baby from the breast on demand to ensure that your supply builds properly. I also invite you to join the breastfeeding moms group, we are 24000 breastfeeding moms strong! Keep going it will get better!
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• You need to alternate heat and ice while massaging your breasts to help with the engorgement so that it isn't that painful, the first few days is the most painful, but once you get a good latch and the baby starts to drain you it will fell pretty good to have all that pressure relieved.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I agree, consult a LC about the latch. But my boys all had a good latch and it hurt anyway. I have super sensitive skin. It is soooo worth sticking it out. The first weeks are hard, but after that it just gets easier and easier. I also agree to get rid of the formula. Take a warm shower and hand express some of your milk before you nurse and it will be easier for your baby to latch on. Good luck! Keep up the great work! Congrats on you LO.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2010