playpen?

idk what to do any more couse my babys 9 months old and all he evrr does is get in to stuf and cry i asked my mom should i get a playpen and she told me why do you need a play pen just so you can locked the baby up but i do need a breack some time and he can sit up and play so is the play pean a good idea or not?

ilovewes

Asked by ilovewes at 7:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes it is when they are super active and you need them to be calm. Also you need to keep everything put away it is a lot of work but if there isn't anything to get into it won't be a problem, also he is old enough to understand NO
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Sure, a play pen is great for a little bit of time every day. If your baby is willing to play in it, that is. Mine were never cooperative and would just scream like crazy till I let them out LOL.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My daughter loved her playpen. I put one or two toys in with her and she entertained herself while I did things I needed to do. I think they are wonderful for both mom and baby, because the baby learns to entertain himself while mom gets things done.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• get a saucer....he can be upright and PLAY.
    Anonymous

• I know it can begin to be frustrating when baby starts to get into things. First, pay attention to what he is getting into and begin childproofing. Put childproof locks on cabinets,locks on doors that he can open (my 11 month old just learned how to open th ebathroom door,lol),put plastic plug covers into unused sockets. Place anything baby should not be playing with out of reach. A playpen can be used for short periods of time but most babies that are beginning to discover their world are very resistant to the idea,lol. I have one but it stays in my bedroom and is only used as an extra nap time place for when I am babysitting a couple babies. If it only seems logical or convienient to childproof one room of the house or certain areas, you can always use a baby gate. A baby gate at the bottom of stairs is a good idea to for when baby starts to try to climb up.They also have playyards, which is about 5-8 gates interlocking....
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• to make a safe play area...again...baby may not likto be in there for a long period of time though, especially alone.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We kept certain toys in the playpen that the children only got to play with when they were in the playpen. It was a way to keep them safe while I got things done around the house. I had a friend who put up gates to the other room entrances so that her living room was like one big playpen, but then the child got into everything in the room.

Answer by Bmat at 7:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It might work for short periods of time, maybe 15-30 minutes at a time, a couple of times a day, depending on how long your baby can entertain himself. Otherwise, try to baby proof at least one room or space that you and baby can hang out in and he can investigate and explore. Babies need that freedom. Our main living room/kitchen/dining area is pretty well baby proofed and then I just close all of the other doors during the day (master, bathroom, guest room) except for the baby's room. So she is free to roam where I can keep an eye on her but the other rooms are off limits and I am not constantly wondering what she has gotten into. Your house is your baby's home too so try to make it accessible to him so he isn't always hearing no all day long and gets to have some fun too. Plus, once he is walking he will really be all over so better to baby proof now. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I dont think a play pen is such a bad idea for him,but just for a little while not all day long. You can also put up a gate in what ever room he's in so he won't be able to leave that room .And yes by all means put everything yiu don't want broke awy in a safe place. LIke some where high , or in a room that he doesn;t go in much.gl.;0
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I had those portable play pens for all 3 of my kids. I used them once in a while, like if I had to run downstairs and do laundry, or if I was doing something and needed the kids contained for a few minutes. I would change out the toys so they would have 'new' things to play with and be bored or fussy in it. I don't see anything wrong with using them-- for short amounts of time. One thing my kids really loved was an excersaucer--- they could sit and play in that for quite a while w/o getting bored. I also babyproofed the livingroom and kids bedroom and put up baby gates, so they had a safe place to play.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:51 AM on Feb. 7, 2010