Help My 22 Month Old Wont Stop Hurting Herself...

My Daughter is 22 months old and when her father or I tell her no or she gets mad over any little thing sometimes even a toy ..She starts banging her head up against walls the floor whatever is near by and when we say stop doing that she then goes on to pull her hair out or pinch herself really hard or bite herself.The last time I was at her doctor I told him about her beating her head on the wall and he said that is normal but that is all she was doing back then now she does all this. I don't know if it is normal or how to get her to stop. I am worried she is really going to hurt herself one day if it doesn't stop. what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hey, my daughter is 18 monthes and she use to hit her self wenever she got mad & her father and I use to tell her no. I didn't know what to do at first and it made me nervous but then I talked to a lady thts on expert on problems like this one and she told me to just ignore it and play with her afterwards evn thought it was hard, it helped big time and now my babygirl don't do it anymore but I guess its a step all kids go throught but Good Luck and I hope if you take my advice it helps you........
    shanababe92

Answer by shanababe92 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I don't know what I would do in that situation. Just wanted to let you know, I read your question and my heart goes out to you...hope you guys are able to figure something out soon.
    Anonymous

• There has to be a reason she is acting out this way. Hers is not a normal response to frustration, boredom, etc. Think about what was happening in her life when she started this behavior. Did something in her life change? Have other things about her changed, like speech, hearing, movement? Is she in an abusive environment?

It is important to stop your toddler when she hurts herself. You should interrupt the biting or hitting by gently picking up your child or sitting down and putting her on your lap. Next, tell her as best you can that you won't let her hit and bite herself because you love her and it's your job to take care of her. Try to do this every time you catch her hurting herself. DO NOT punish her for this behavior. She is not old enough to express her feelings yet, so she is using the outlet she has. See a new pediatrician.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It certainly IS normal behavior for a pre-verbal toddler to do this. When they are upset, they want attention. I ignored it if he wasn't going to hurt himself. Eventually he stopped. The only time I removed him was when he was banging his head into a glass door. Walk off. They will only do it as long as there is an audience. It's a phase and it will pass. My son only did it a few weeks.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

shanababe92