Help My 22 Month Old Wont Stop Hurting Herself...

My Daughter is 22 months old and when her father or I tell her no or she gets mad over any little thing sometimes even a toy ..She starts banging her head up against walls the floor whatever is near by and when we say stop doing that she then goes on to pull her hair out or pinch herself really hard or bite herself.The last time I was at her doctor I told him about her beating her head on the wall and he said that is normal but that is all she was doing back then now she does all this. I don't know if it is normal or how to get her to stop. I am worried she is really going to hurt herself one day if it doesn't stop. what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Health

• my 20mo little boy does the absolute exact thing! I was worried at first, but that isn't a sign of autism... they are looking for attention, or just trying to control the situation... she is just a smart little girl that wants her way, and knows that you don't want her to hurt so that is why she does it. I try to tell my son no, or just ignore him. It is frustrating to see them hurt themselves... I tell him mommy doesn't want you to get hurt so you need to stop, and then I turn my back and say when you can have a happy face I would love to play ____whatever with you! It will end I am sure !
    Anonymous

• Its not normal. that is often a stress response seen in children who are in the autism spectrum. not trying to scare you or anything but i personally would insist on testing and evaluation. this is NOT normal in a 22 month old
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• go back to the doc
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• if this doc refuses to offer up behaviorial tactics you should get an appointment with a child development specialist. Your town's school district might even have an evaluator that could result in therapy for dd and classes to ease the transition into preschool years and elementary school.
    Anonymous

• Does she still do it if you ignore her- like if you walk out of the room instead of trying to get her to stop? I have heard this is normal for toddlers- at least the head banging part, or holding their breath, etc, when they are mad, so I wouldn't panic, but I would press the issue with your doctor just to be sure. If you remove your attention and she stops that would tell me she is just doing it to freak you out more than anything. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Have her evaluated by a specialist. Every major city should have a Regional Center for the disabled. My towns Regional Center is called Central Valley Regional Center (559) 276-4300. Call them and ask for the number to your towns Regional Center and take it from there.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 5:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2010