Clinton brokers deal over Haiti orphan abductions

A DIPLOMATIC deal over the 10 American missionaries jailed in Haiti on child abduction charges may lead to the release this week of all except the group’s leader, Laura Silsby, according to legal sources in Port-au-Prince.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article7017950.ece

Thoughts?

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We should stay out of Haiti's problems.
    Anonymous

• "We should stay out of Haiti's problems. "

I agree.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I read an article the other day that basically ladi all teh blame on the leader of the group...saying the rest thought everything was in order but she knew they didn't have the proper paperwork...

Either way, I have no idea what really happened, if they did nothing wrong I hope they get home soon...if they DID do somthing wrong they should serve their time

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I think it's ironic that we are busting our asses to help Haiti, sending them millions of dollars in aid, plus food, water, med supplies...

And then they pull this.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• And then they pull this.

What a slap. slap

Anonymous

• And then they pull this.

Who is "they"?
    Anonymous

• If the "followers" are as innocent as they claim, then I can see them getting off with some kind of deal. As misguided and just plain stupid as it was, they really may have meant well. But I wouldn't balk if they had to do time, either.

As for the "leader" - she seems quite a bit more shady, and probably should be held until they figure everything out. If she does time, I won't weep for her.

NONE of them were using their brains.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I think it's ironic that we are busting our asses to help Haiti, sending them millions of dollars in aid, plus food, water, med supplies... And then they pull this.

So if there is a disaster in this country and someone tries to abduct your child they shouldnt be prosecuted?

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I dont claim to know every little detail and if the others were just ignorant of what was going on or not..none of us really know that.So I cannot say nail them...the leader is another story at least according to all of the info that is out there she was told she couldnt do what she was attempting to do beforehand.I did find it interesting though that the article said that some of the haitian parents were willingly givng their children over for a better life in America.

'Despite reports that many of the children taken by Silsby’s group were not orphans, some Haitian parents described her arrival as a “miracle” that offered their children a rare chance of a better life abroad.'

Although if its still unlawful in those cases as well then its unlawful..obviously something wasnt right with this leader and group ..ignorance maybe idk for certain nobody does
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It appears that this group became quite over zealous in their attempt to help. We don't know the story, but I do think that Haiti is walking a fine line in trying US citizens when we are basically spending enough money and man power in the name of helping to probably buy the entire country. Admonish them and send them home, but don't have a trial. It will not sit well with the people who are funding you.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2010