How long do they have "withdraws " from a pacifier ???

My 3 year old YES 3 year old just got her "baba" ( pacifier) taken away around her birthday ( January 17) I knew it would be hard but really this getting rediculous ! We have had alot of changes in the last 6 months ( moving, daddy losing his job so he's home 24/7, having a new baby ) but I didn't think taking her baba away would cause her to be such a monster ! She doesn't listen, doens't sleep , throws tantrum's consistantly over the smallest stuff , hangs on my every movement , back talks , hits, cries alot , says mean things and still asks for it all the time , all since we took her pacifier away . When should the withdraw be over !??

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 7:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hang in there Mama! You can do it!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• my son screamed for a week - but he was about 18 months - the older the harder
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• So don't take it away cold turkey. Cut the use back. 2 weeks. only in the car, bedroom and sleeping. 2 weeks of only in the car and sleeping 2 weeks only sleeping. 4 weeks of only at night. Talk about it and count the days down together with x's on the calendar.
    Anonymous

• Does she have something else to love- a blankie or teddy or something else to comfort her? Or maybe a new something special as a reward, like Because you are such a big girl who gave up your paci you get this new doll and if you ever feel like you miss your paci you can give her a hug and play with her until you don't feel sad anymore. I wish I had more advice for you- my DD is 16 months and I am dreading the day we have to get rid of the paci. I know they make books and stuff, too, like about being too big for the paci and about the Paci Ferry coming to take the paci but you are probably past all of that since she already has it gone. The only thing I could think would help is praise and positive reinforcement. Good luck- I hope she forgets about it really soon!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We "lost" our son's paci at the age of 2 - he cried for one night and then it was over. Each child is different and will react differently.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i cut my dd this way at 2. she got it only for nap and bedtime. about 6 mts later only at bedtime and in dec. i took it away cold trukey ,it was 3 days of hell. but its been a month an no problem thereis time she will ask for it. and am like you wanna be a baby gain and she is like umm eww no
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It's been around 3 weeks since we took it away I can't just let her have it again and make it worse then when I try to take it away again it will be worse NO WAY am I giving it back ! I am stickin to her NOT having it .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010