Where is the balance? (about children in church)

My husband and I have been taking our son into the main sanctuary during church instead of letting him run and play in the "mother's room" during the service. We had be thinking that since he has learned to sit and wait nicely for his turn in the kids class and being almost two he can learn to sit nicely during the service.We also decided to do this because he was getting to the point where he would purposely get fussy and loud so he would get to go outside where it was more fun to play. Hubby is refusing to take him out no matter what he does in the main sanctuary. We have even had people ask him to take him out and he refused because he does not want to reward the behavior. I see hubby's point but we also have to be considerate of other people! Where do we draw the line?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree. If he is disrupive in church please take him out. The more kids misbehave in church the more mine want to. I would take him out and put him in time out.
    WIth that I have a 2 and 4 year old and we have go to the main area for church. I have a bag of religous coloring books and crayons, and some religous activity books and reading books. There is also one stuffy for each child. They sit one on each side of me and they are to entertain themselves with that. It is an hour long service for us, they don't understand 99% of what is being said. My oldest knows the Our father but that is it. It is boring as hell to them. So at this point I am trying to teach them to be respectfully quiet, the sign of the cross, what everything means, to kneel and stand with everyone, basically the motions. We do parys at bedtime to help her learn them and how to pray to God. GL and I hope you find something that works.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• If the child is being disruptive he NEEDS to be taken out.
    Dont reward the behavior... have him sit out side... dont let him run around out side.

Tell him when he is quiet he can go back and sit inside... other wise he sits out side. Make it some where dull... car seat/ facing a wall/ etc.
    Anonymous

• he is how old? he has no bussness in the main preaching area,how dare you force your way on other people,this is the very reason why they have a kids area,he is a kid not an adult,btw think of everyone he is distracting because of his fits,he is a kid and should be treaded like one,if he was older he would have to learn but come on a kid? how cruel is that and how rude of you guys towards others,theres people that need to hear the word be thoughtful of that.
    Anonymous

• OP here-Anon7;59-don't answer unless you can read the question carefully. I gave my son's age in the question.
    Anonymous