How do i get my 10 month old son to stop laughing when i tell him no?

My son thinks it`s so funny when i tell him no or when he pulls my hair. Im not laughing when he does it. Help what do i do?

codysmom419

Asked by codysmom419 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sorry mommy but tens months old he's really just starting to learn emotions of his own much less what responses he gets to them.

It'll go on for years lol -wait'll he's 17 yo and you tell him you won't drive him to a mall in a government labeled northestern snowstorm - that's about what I'm dealing with right now, my youngest.

you're doing good telling him no =put him down or walk away let him be for a few seconds to a minute and come back. Be calm start all over again.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• dnt let it get ya goin... he's only been here for 10 months. i say just give him a stern look and use a stern voice. the mama voice.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 8:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My son is 18 months and still laughs when I tell him no. It's more the tone than the words that work..sadly he is so friggin cute I have a hard time keeping my stern tone ;)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• hmm let him grow up? he is 10 months old. just about ANYTHIING is vastly hysterical to him
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My DD was a big fan of trying to pull my glasses off which was a no-no because I need them to see and they cost a fortune to replace. This usually happened when I was holding her so I would immediately tell her "No Touch" in my firmest voice and then I would set her down and walk away from her- across the room, into the next room, whatever, to teach her that she would not get attention or be with me when she did this. I only walked away for 30 seconds or so but enough to give her the picture, or if she tried to cling to me I would just pretend I was engrossed in something else and let her whine for a bit. It's hard when they are this young because there is not a lot in the way of discipline but for major offenses like biting, etc, at least they learn they get a negative response of you taking away your attention.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Geez lady, he's only a baby. He can't possibly understand the concept of "no" so young. If you don't want him to touch something, then put it up whenre he can't reach him. Redirect him to another activity, or another part of the house. You're trying to discipline your baby way too young. Way too young.
    Anonymous

• You don't want to start saying no to a 10 month old. The baby has no idea what you are saying. You are already trying to punish. The baby is already hearing the dreaded no word. You are setting youself up for problems with the no word for the next 3 or more years.

Prevent whatever the baby is doing. Wear your hair in a way the baby can't get it.

Here is an article about saying no. The average toddler is told no 400 times a day! Parents just keep doing what doesn't work. That is one definition of insanity.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• um is normal his 10 mts not 10 yrs old. my 3 yr old sometimes laughs when i say no. his a baby he doesnt understand what no means
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• He is definitely able to understand the word "no". People who say babies cannot understand are very mistaken. Starting at about 6 or 7 months they can be taught the meaning of many basic words. He just doesn't have any reason to think that it's any different than any other "noise" you make unless you give him reason to realize that it's important, and teach him to recognize that word. Think about your child's safety, he needs to learn "no" to protect him. Once they start crawling/walking, your life will be made so much easier if he listens to simple commands. Never yell "no", that will teach him that you must yell to be serious, always say it calmly once, then if they do the action again, firmly tap his hand (just enough for him to realize that you are not being funny). Always be consistent and loving! Good luck!
    ARoseisaRose1

Answer by ARoseisaRose1 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2010