What is a spiritual atheist?

You don't believe in God, but you believe in your soul and an afterlife?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I consider myself a spiritual atheist. I have never had ANY proof of the existence of any gods and have no reason to believe in them. I HAVE however had many spiritual experiences in my life. Indeed, the afterlife doesn't seem to want to leave me alone!! I have seen a UFO myself, though I wouldn't presume to say that it was an alien spacecraft. My dead grandfather visited me in my hospital room when I broke my leg in the 6th grade. Until the age of 13, I experienced a large dark entity that stood guard at the foot of my bed. And my dead cat sometimes visits me to lie across my feet, as I am in bed, and shake the bed with his purring. Most atheists are as fundamental as any christian about their non-belief, thinking that it means that they should be hard-core skeptics about EVERYTHING. I'm not. Atheism only means I don't believe in god. I strongly believe in the strange mysteries of this world.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• An Agnostic. (preparing for a tongue lashing from all of my fellow non believers here- but that's how I feel about it)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I consider my consciousness to be my soul and I don't believe in an afterlife.  My spirituality is fed by music, mediation, nature, exercise or new experiences and sensations, depending on what my "soul" needs.  Those needs can be relaxation, mulling over a problem, reflection, creativity or simply having a little fun. 

I hope that makes sense because it's hard to put into words.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• As weird as this sounds, I agree with both Obby AND beeky. It all depends on the context, really. I personally wouldn't consider myself a spiritual atheist. But according to beeky's explanation, I could see how lots of people would consider themselves that.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Felling love for your child and family or friends, respect for others, worshipping nature and the Earth, peace, the drive to contribute to the society, finding happiness in small and big things, enjoying every day, learning new things, drive to discover, create. That is what I think makes me spiritual, not believing in god or afterlife.
    By the way, I think that if there is afterlife why does it have to be of religious nature? An example of that can be the book and movie: 'What Dreams May Come".
    I believe that being spiritual is a combination of all or part of the feelings and thoughts we have, without the belief in supernatural.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 9:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• an oxymoron LOL
    Anonymous

• Oxymoron???????????
    Can you elaborate?
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 10:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Probably meant spiritual and atheist in the same sentence
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I can't help but think of agnostic/spiritual/athesists people as cowards. How can you not surrender yourself to Gods love? He can be strict , but rules/boundaries are neccassary for us. Why do you worship the creation but not the Creator? When I was a teenager I was like that, I served Adonis, and others, and would justify myself to my mother (she was a Big Time Christian-Way to Go Mom) that God was like a big, shiny diamond, the others were just part of Him.I don't see it like that now If you don't serve God, you serve the Devil. For me its not tough to choose. Gods got my back, Devil would sooner kill you than look at you. How many people do you know have a working relationship with God and are having all kinds of problems? Sure christians fail, we fail to act as we should. Shame pushes us away from God, and if we let it, Pride will keep us from going back to our Father.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Devil creates so many problems for us, if we let him. Men/woman who cheat on their spouse, and are proud of it? Thats not Gods work, thats not something He intended. Woman who abort their children, or kill them later in life, instead of just using their head and think about what can they do it to not bring another child in this world that they don't want. Agnostics/etc, you guys are lost children. You can critize me, critize my God, He Died For You, He is strong enough to take it, He loves you that much. Hows that saying go? " You can cut me into a thousand pieces, and with each piece I will still love you" ? I hope you find the happiness and peace within lifes storms that I have, before its too late.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2010