I have a question!!! Please Be kind!!! I'm asking for my BFF!!!

What is tandem nursing?
what are the benefits?
The draw backs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm pretty sure tandum breastfeeding is when you breastfeed twins at the same time. Or if you've got a two year old or another baby breastfeeding on each breast at the same time. And I guess the benefit would be you'd save time.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Tandem nursing is when you nurse an older child when you also have an infant. They might both nurse at the same time or they might nurse at different times.
    Benefits would include an older child getting the immunological benefits of human milk for an extended period of time and reduced sibling jealousy. I'm sure there are others.
    Drawbacks, well, if your friend has any history of blood sugar problems (pre diabetes, diabetes, hypoglycemia) she should be careful about this. I have hypoglycemia and it proved impossible for me to nurse my toddler while I was pregnant. My body literally could not maintain stable blood sugar levels due to the duel demands of nursing and pregnancy.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 8:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It's when you are breastfeeding siblings. It doesn't mean you are actually nursing at the moment but that you have two nurslings. The benefits are that the two children get to be breastfed. There aren't any drawbacks.

Some moms can find it demanding to nurse two children at the same time. They may end up resenting the older child, not liking breastfeeding, or having other problems. It's common for moms in the US to have emotional problems related to breastfeeding if they are breastfeeding one or two.

When I tandem nursed I would usually nurse the 3 year old at the same time as the baby. He didn't nurse as often but if the baby wasn't nursing he would usually have to wait. I would get the 3 year old latched and across my lap and lay his brother on top of him. They breastfed together for over 2 years. The oldest had health problems and needed to breastfeed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Yes, what they said, nursing a baby and toddler. Lots of great info for your friend at Nursing During Pregnancy & Tandem Nursing

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Check out the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing. Even if your bff decides to NOT tandem, she probably is pregnant, and the first few chapters have great info on nursing while pregnant. It helped me a lot.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Ask this question in the breastfeeding group; there are many tandem BFers there

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2010