Unassisted Home birth??

What do you think about unassisted home births?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know some couples who had great prenatal care and really knew what they were doing and had marvelous unassisted home births.

It's irresponsible for a family who does not have a transport/ emergency plan or a whole string of health issues that are known to cause birth complications to attempt it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Very irresponsible and should be a crime punishable by 10-15 years in prison if the baby is injured. Life in prison if the baby dies.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• If you are not a high risk pregnancy. I see no problem. I on the other hand like to have a midwife there for comfort level.

Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Ok I am going to bite, why should it be a crime? You are all about being pro-choice and yet you are against this. That is a contradiction.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I think everybody should be prepared for one, because you never know and may have to deliver at home with no help or in the car etc. It is a scary thought but you should know what to do, and hell I think it might be easier doctors, midwives, and nurses can cause stress which makes labor more difficult.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I had my three babies in hospitals because I wanted more than an experience for me - I wanted each of my kids births to be the best medically should anything have been wrong. Sometimes unexpected things happen at birth or shortly after in checkups.

Maybe you'll think of a compromise of a midwife who has an ob as backup? I know some ob practices have as part of them a team of midwives for those moms who want that.

At the very least if you do homebirth know what ob/hospital would be used if necessary.

Be informed for your baby's beginning childhood first and your comfort second. You can probably find a way that's really good for you that does both.

Whatever you do mommy, Congratulations on Baby!!!!

lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• "Ok I am going to bite, why should it be a crime? You are all about being pro-choice and yet you are against this. That is a contradiction. "

Where's the contradiction? Pro-choice advocates are NOT for putting a child's life at risk. If the child is injured because a mother decided to have an unassisted home birth, it should be a crime just like any parent that neglects their child's health care or well being. There are so many good programs and midwives out there. It's just plain stupid and neglectful to not use those services.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It is a contradiction because legally a baby isn't a life until it survives separately from it's mother, and that is what pro-choicers scream all the time, so the birthing process has nothing to do with the baby until it is out and separated from the mother.

It isn't illegal when babies are hurt or killed because of hospital birthing so why should an unassisted birth be different.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• First of all, Legalmommy, "prochoice advocates are not for putting a child's life at risk" is a controversial statement, since many believe that a child's life begins at conception. So unless you put stipulations on WHEN abortions are okay, then anything before birth is totally up to mom, including where to have the baby.

Second, I think that unassisted births can be done safely. You need a VERY well informed mom (maybe a midwife herself), a partner who is also very well informed and has some experience with birth and with emergency procedures, you need a few more people around to make transport easier, and you need a backup plan for hospital transport. You also need a birth kit, including sterile gloves, hemostats and sterile scissors, a fetoscope or doppler monitor and a phone readily available.

If you can't meet all these criteria I don't think it's a good idea, and I never recommend unassisted to anyone.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• "It is a contradiction because legally a baby isn't a life until it survives separately from it's mother, and that is what pro-choicers scream all the time, so the birthing process has nothing to do with the baby until it is out and separated from the mother. It isn't illegal when babies are hurt or killed because of hospital birthing so why should an unassisted birth be different.

No, pro-choice people want the government to stay out of our uterus's. It's not up to the government to decide what we can do with our reproductive systems. Pro-choice people are for "We the people" having our CHOICES. Even though we support people having choices doesn't mean we support people to chose to neglect or abuse their children. That's basically what you're saying. We are for choices but when a crime is committed you will pay the price for the action.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010