Why doesn't my baby sleep through the night?

My baby girl is almost 20 weeks old and still doesn't sleep through the night. I bf her almost exclusively...recently started giving her stage one foods mixed with rice cereal and breast milk. She has had formula before...not too often though. I put her to bed about 6:30.... she usually wakes up about 7:15... I just hold her for a few and put her back in her crib...then she wakes up about 10:30 to eat, again at 2...and sometimes wont go back into her crib, again around 4 and then wants to wake up for an hour at 5:30....
What should I do? I dont do CIO...not my style.
Advice please!!! I would love to sleep through an entire night! Of course, I would probably be waking up all night to check on her but ya know...lol

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 7 is entirely too early for bedtime. Maybe when they're in school and have to be up at 7... but not when you want them to sleep in a bit. Would you rather have more time with her asleep before bed, or more sleep in the morning?

Both my boys naturally get tired around 9. The baby sometimes stays up as late as 10. We get up for the day around 8-9.

Don't expect sleeping through for a LONG time... my first was 2 before he did it in our bed and 4 before he did it in his own. My 10 month old also still wakes a few times a night. We co-sleep.

Part-time co-sleeping is perfectly fine... put her in her own bed to start and bring her to yours in the middle of the night. Best of both worlds!

Don't stress over when she will STTN, it will only drive you crazy and won't do any good. She'll do it when she's ready to and not a second before that.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Sorry, but it's pretty much the normal thing for babies to need at least one or two feedings during the night up until around 9 months.

But you can still do some sleep training for the initial bed-time and if baby is staying awake after the needed feeding. Look up sleep training, and see if you can find a style that you're comfortable with.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 20 MONTHS old and JUST started sleeping through the night, and I had to do CIO to get her to do it. Babies this age are still needing calories through the night to support their rapid growth. Is cosleeping an option? I got SOOO much more sleep when I could just roll over and pop a boob in her mouth lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• don't try to put her down so early. my kids wouldn't sleep through the night til later on, like 9 months, and early on they'd go to bed at 9-10 FOR THE NIGHT. Try keeping her up later. It'll eventually phase into sleeping through the night....every baby is different, so just enjoy the time you have with her/him
    Anonymous

• 20 weeks! It's normal for babies to wake at night until they are 3 years or older. Experts consider sleeping 5 hours to be sleeping through the night.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months. Then babies can start on real foods like banana, sweet potato, or avocado. There is no need to feed babies inferior, expensive baby food and cereal.

www.kellymom is a good breastfeeding website and it has info on starting solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• u might be putting her to bed to early and try givin her a bath before bed
    make shur she has a full tummy then when she wakes at night u can give her a cereal and milk bottle
    i had the same thing with my daughter and i waited till almost time whae i went to bed to put her down
    it does make a difference
    and to help her relax buy some baby bath with lavender in it sooths them and help them relax and off to dream workl they go
    the first night my daughter slept all night i kept waking up but after a few days i started to relax
    itd just in your routine my dear thats all
    good luck
    Anonymous

• OMG - she is still an infant!!! Do you really expect her to sleep through the night allready???

Here is a ?, why doesnt my 6 yr old sleep through the night?!
    Anonymous

• I did try co-sleeping but she didnt seem to be sleeping well.... and I wasnt either... I sometimes still do put her in the bed around 2-4 when she doesnt want to go back to the crib and I dont have the energy to stay up with her! I wish she would at least sleep later! I dont mind getting up to feed her at all.... its just when she wont go back to sleep it is exhausting! What time do yall put your babies to bed? i feel like I may have gone too early... following advice from something I read that said babies are naturally tired between 5:30 and 6:30... So I changed my whole routine up (been starting bedtime routine at 5:30ish instead of 6:30...) and it seems to be worse!
    cpuckett27

Answer by cpuckett27 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• ummmm, because she is a BABY, and babies don't sleep through the night.....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Neither of my ebf babies slept through the night (9pm-6am) until they were about 2 years old or so. We co-slept and did not put them to bed for the night until 9-10. With the co-sleeping even though they woke up I did not have to get up, just roll over nurse them and then go back to sleep. It was the easiest way for all of us to get the most sleep.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2010