What time do you put your baby to bed?

I was putting my 20 week old down at about 9...but then read that babies get tired between 5:30 and 6:30 so I backed her bedtime routine from 7 oclock bath to 5:45 bath.... since doing this she is waking up SOOOOOOOO early. What I read said that this wouldnt happen but it is. I guess I should keep her up longer?

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well my son is only 8 months old but i was putting him to bed at ten thirty & he would sleep until 8 thirty, now hes teething & sometimes he wont go to sleep until midnight, and wakes up at 8. once he gets older im thinking his bedtime will be around 9 because i dont want him getting up too early.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I started mine on a bedtime routine at 3 months and all went down at 8. They didnt wake up supper early except my youngest.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I have 1 year old twins that are down by 5 and sleep to 7pm, and they take 1 hour nap a day. I also have a 2 1/2 year old that goes to bed at 7 and wakes up at 7, with no nap during the day. Up until 9 months my kids had at least 2 naps a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon and were still waking up every 4 hours for a feeding. After 9 months all of my kids would start to cut out the afternoon nap and start sleeping longer times at night until they slept through the night.
    All have had bedtime routines of a bath and cuddle time since the time they started eating every 4 hours, around about 3-4 months.
    Hope this helps!!!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• oh & BTW, johnsons & johnsons bedtime bath soap & lotion - warm bath, lotion massage, & a warm bottle everynight really helps.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I put my daughter down between 8-9...most nights its closer to 9, it mostly depends on her nap schedule for the day. She generally sleeps 11-12 hours per night. So ,she usually wakes between 8-9 a.m....she used to get tired for a nap exactly 2 hours after she woke up in the morning(but now that she is almost a year, its more like 3 or 4 hours after she wakes. She naps roughly 2 hours, wakes up, 2 hours later (again,shes older now so it varies a little more) she gets sleepy and takes another nap. Then ...its bedtime again. I think bedtimes have a whole lot to do with how naps go during the day.
    My rule (from birth to about 10 months...and this is how we got on a good scheduled routine)...is this...no matter what time they wake in the morning, lay them down for a nap 2 hours from the time they first wake and then do the same thing after the 1st nap..they wake...2 hours later, lay them down for 2nd nap. Then bedtime 8-9
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My dd is 5 months old, and she goes to bed when my oldest daughter goes to bed. We have bedtimes for both of them, and my baby is usually fast asleep by 8:00 every night, and then sleeps all the way through until around 8:30 the next morning!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• my son is 3 months old, i put him to bed around 9:30 or 10 & he sleeps until 6. if i tried putting him to bed at 7 he'd wake up early and i'd NEVER sleep haha. my healthy families worker said around 10 is good until they are 1.

:)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 9:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My four month old gets sleepy around nine pm. I just go with that. She wakes between eleven and twelve to feed and diaper change, then goes back to sleep. Wakes between three and five to pee and eat again. Occationally she sleeps for six hours straight, but no matter ... she is well rested when she wakes to eat anyway. We cosleep so she's learned a night time pattern on her own. I went with it

I would never try to artificialy alter her sleeping pattern unless she was exhausted. Sleeping patterns will change a lot in the first year and won't really settle until around age three to four. Let sleeping babies lie or it will backfire!

I wouldn't use lotions or johnson soaps...they are chemical laden and can dry the skin. If you want to do the whole bath routine (which I think overdries baby skin) use plain water and a pure soap. If you must use an oil use a natural one like shea butter or coco butter etc
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I agree my 6 month old son goes to bed anywhere between 7 and 9 and it all depends on how his naps went that day. Today for example he took one hour nap so by 7 he was exhausted but if he takes a couple longer naps during the day he might not go until 9. He does tho sometimes get sleepy between 5 and 6 and if he does I lay him down and 99% of the time he only sleeps an hour and goes to bed at 9. He also takes a nap two hrs after waking up in the morning. But his afternoon naps vary. He will sleep 8 hrs but when he's in bed at 7 that makes it 3am so I give him another warm bottle change his diaper and he will sleep until 8. Good luck mama
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Personally, I would feel very uncomfortable if my baby slept twelve hours straight. That is a long time to be sleeping and to go without food especially when they grow so fast. I'd be very concerned about the baby falling into too deep of a sleep and forgetting to breathe. Not to mention we breastfeed and I'd be engorged and likely suffer for it or give myself mastitis. A six hour occasional sleep through is about all I can stand. I've learned to sleep while she nurses and she's learned to relatch herself.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2010