Do you feed your baby rice cereal?

I was just reading on another post not to feed the baby rice cereal! I have had people (including my doc) tell me to feed her rice cereal mixed with bm and stage 1 foods...whats the deal? Feed it to her or not? I was told that it would make her sleep better by many people...she doesn't sleep well at all!

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started feeding my single grain rice cereal mixed w formula and fruit when he was 4 & hlf months old. hes 8 months old now and he eats that folr breakfast & dinner & a meat for lunch. never heard anything bad about rice cereal.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I put a little in my daughters bedtime bottle to her her sleep better at night..and yes it works( for us,it works, for others it may not) and no she is not obese and no I don't think in any way shape or form I am harming my daughter.(She is 11 1/2 months now and I have been doing this since she was about 8 months) Also, I babysit for a couple other moms...one has a 9 month old...every morning for breakfast he eats rice cereal mixed with a fruit...another mom I babysit for has a 4 month old and she gives hers rice cereal every evening before bedtime. Alll 3 of these children are healthy, normal,fun and active. When My son (who is 9 years old now) was a baby I used to mix his fruits and veggies with it,he loved it...he is now 9 yrs old..healthy, active,smart,physically fit..no where near obese and no..he no longer eats rice cereal...haha. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Never fed rice cereal.

I knew 30 years ago it wasn't good for babies and that there have been no studies to show that it helps babies sleep better. There still have been no studies to show it helps babies sleep. Doctors get little or no training in nutrition (or breastfeeding, or parenting).

Rice cereal was invented as a way to get iron into formula fed babies. There was a problem with getting it into formula. Now formula is iron fortified but rice cereal is still around and promoted by the rice cereal makers.

Read the rice cereal box. Do you want that in your baby. It's a carbohydrate and babies are getting carbohydrates from formula or breastmilk. It you are starting solids at 4-6 months babies don't need a food that is so over processed.

Feeding solids early harms the digestive system. It's too late for the formula fed babies. Breastfeeding moms should avoid it to keep their babies digestive systems perfect.
    Anonymous

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard!
    Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Rice cereal made my first very gassy and made her have tummy problems so I did not even try it with my second. I have heard MANY of my friends say the same thing. As far as feeding them cereal to get them to sleep better. I have heard from a lot of people that you should do it...but most all my friends and other moms I have talked to said that when they tried it did not work. I tried and it did not make any difference with either of my kids.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Thank you!
    cpuckett27

Answer by cpuckett27 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I gave my dd rice cereal @ recommendation of her pediatrician @ 6 mo (bf only). she's 9 mo now & I use the cereal to stiffen purees so she can feed herself.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I'd never do it. It tastes horrible and can cause serious gas issues. All that stage one baby food is a marketing gimmick anyway. Food before one is for fun, not nutrition. I plan on going straight to table food:  http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Kellymom.com has some great information about this subject. Click the link starting solids.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 9:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Its a US thing to recommend cereal as a first food. The rest of the world starts with veggies and fruits. My kids did not get cereals until close to 9 months of age.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2010