Extremely shy. Huge problem.

My DD has always been overly shy. she will not talk on the phone or speak above a whisper to people she knows who aren't family. Well she is in kindergarten his year and not speaking at all. she does her work well and will whisper answers to the teacher and 1 or 2 kids in her class but she won't ask questions or even ask to go to the bathroom(major issue). I really thought being in school would help. At home she is loud as ever! Just a normal silly little girl. What do I do? She won't do dance. We tried she won't preform in front of peers. I think sports would be the same. Any one been through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• The problem could be selective mutism. Please read this article: http://www.greatschools.org/parenting/social-skills/wont-talk-at-school.gs?content=1328
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I WAS this little girl back in the day. Once I became comfortable I was ok. It will take time but just keep her with the same kids/school and don't move around to make her start all over again and she'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My DD is shy to but not that extreme. In fact I just asked a question a few days ago about my DD not wanting to ask to go to the bathroom at school. I got some good advice but I'll check back here to see if you get anything else I can use!
    Anonymous

• I was extremely shy as a child. It took me years to get over it. I still get shy. When I meet new people it is hard for me. I am very quite but once I get to know someone I am fine. Do not push her into anything she is not comfortable doing. That is what it is all about for her. If her comfort level is not there it is harder for her.

Anonymous

• Talk to her ped about a referral to a psychologist. No kidding. Ther could be a reason she seems shy around people OR if it just that she is 'overly' shy medication can help. My son was the overly shy kids in class we took him for evaluation and it turn out that he had severe childhood anxiety and was borderline Asperger's. Anti anxiety medication had made all the difference in the world for him and the family. Eye contact is still very very hard but he will actually talk to people now and with his social skills groups he is really coming out of his shell and making friends!
    Anonymous