For Moms Who Have Used Gentian Violet: When Will The Purple Fade?

I know GV is a very old treatment for thrush and has been used by many. I finally gave it a try after all of our prescription thush treatments failed. I am having pannic attacks now, afraid my baby girl's lips will be forever stained purple. Someone please put my mind at ease.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• GV can be easily removed with a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol. Wet the cotton ball with the alcohol, then dab on your baby's lips. Then get another cotton ball and saturate it with water and dab on the baby's lips. That should take it all off.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• For us nothing seemed to remove it from her lips but about 2 days after we quit using it (the thrush had been gone for 6 days and NEVER came back) both my nipples and her lips were fine. We also tried several prescription things for it and none worked but the GV and an elimination diet (no sugar etc) kicked it for us.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It came off after about 12 hours.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:07 AM on Feb. 7, 2010