Do you put a blanket in the crib with your baby?

My babies room seems to be colder than any other room in our house... Also I use the cool mist humidifier. I put a heating pad down in her bed before laying her down and I put a blanket over her. I always have scary thoughts about the blanket smothering her face and when she sleeps for a few hours I get worried that she has pulled it up over her face and cant breathe. UGH. I feel like she would be able to pull it away if she couldnt breathe...but if she is sleeping would she know that she couldnt breathe? Should I take the blanket out? She always seems cold if she doenst have a blanket and doesnt sleep well. I want her to be warm, but I also want her to be safe!

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always put a blanket in my DD's crib. I even started using a pillow at 8 months for her stuffy nose would keep her awake, and it propped her up. I never took it out. .
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My kids always had a blanket! If I need one, they need one! That's my rule of thumb! I think some doctors are just nuts now a days!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I've thought about the heating pad thing too...but I was always afraid it would catch on fire or become to hot and she wouldnt be able to tell me and she wouldnt be able to move away from where it was hot. When mine was newly born...I swaddled her and she hd her warm jammies on...as she got older (when she wasn't co-cleeping with me,lol) I would put a blanket on her but she would be laying on her back and I would tuck it under her arms...and yep I worried about it covering her face too...so I would check and recheck and recheck like a obessive compulsive person,lol. But once she started being able to roll around herself and make herself comfortable, I felt safe and didnt worry anymore...I would say she was about 5-6 months when I felt okay about it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Absolutely not. My daughter has NEVER slept with a blanket, and never will.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 9:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When my son was really little we used a large blanket and just tucked it in on both sides of the crib, so he couldn't pull it up plus he was swaddled. Once he started moving around I stopped using the blanket and just dressed him in a couple layers for bed, and turned the heat up at night. When he was a year old I started using a blanket again, but most nights he just wriggles out from under it anyway - so I still dress him in layers at night.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I cosleep so our body heat helps and we can turn a heater on in just the bedroom to keep it more warm and if I happen to use a blanket I can't supervise without having to get up, but if we used a crib in another room I would go with a fleece or flannel sleep sack. I wouldn't leave a heating pad on, especially not unattended. The reason why I wouldn't do a blanket unattended is that in another room you can't hear when a baby has stopped breathing or develops apnea, and frankly I wouldn't want anything obstructing the nose or mouth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Oh! I put the heating pad in before I put her to bed and then take it out before I lay her down!
    cpuckett27

Answer by cpuckett27 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• have you thought of a Halo sleep sack? My almost 1 year old just out grew hers so I started giving her a blanket last night. I really liked the sleep sack cause she felt nice and warm in the mornings. Also, I have a heater in her room cause her room gets pretty chilly at night and it is one that is safe to leave on all the time. I just keep it at a low temperature and heats her room to a comfortable level.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• No blankets in the crib. Laying on the blanket is extra bad, if there is such a thing.

The newest thing for reducing SIDS risk is using a fan in the baby's room. That makes it even worse for cold nights. It's not to keep the room cool but to move air around.

I always co-slept. None of my babies had a crib.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We used a blanket from day one with all of our kids. It's a crib sized, hand made quilt (that belonged to my husband when he was a baby). When they were little it was swaddled around them and after that just tucked around them. None of them smothered to death using it. If anything they are more likely to kick it off then pull it over their heads.
    And I had one that had to have something over her face to sleep at all. We settled on a thread-bare receiving blanket (that belonged to me when I was a kid). From the time she was just a couple months old she would grab it and pull it over her face before falling asleep. If you tried to move it at any time she would freak out and start screaming until you gave it back to her. She's 7 now and still pulls her blankets over her head at night.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010