fresh vs. frozen vegetables

do frozen veggies have the same nutritional value as fresh veggies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Pretty much. Depending on where you live, they are better for you than fresh in the winter - they were frozen immediately after picking. The stuff in the produce section spent the last 3 days on a ship or a train to get to you - so it's either old or was picked early so it wouldn't go bad before hitting the store. Read the labels - if it's something that has butter sauce and 15 ingredients, it's not better. If it just says (whatever vegetable) it's fine.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I'm told yes but here is the order of bestness
    Fresh
    Frozen
    dried
    canned
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Fresh veggies are more nutritious, but frozen veggies do retain a lot of their nutrients - far more than canned veggies.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• yes! I read they have an even better seal since they're packaged right away while fresh sit out longer.
    PLUS! frozen's cheaper :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• And btw, it doesn't matter how it gets to you, fresh or frozen, if you boil them. Steam or roast if you're really worried about preserving the nutrients.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I just switched to frozen, but freshness wasn't the reason I switched. This was: http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/BPA_cans_203.html
    It's usually just small trace amounts, but I have very small children and it could have a worse affect on them.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2010