Signing a birth certificate.

What exactly does that mean? Me and my husband have three bio daughters, he was not there for any of their births yet his name on the BC. When his son was born to his ex wife she named him as the father, he didn't sign anything not even an acknowlegement (sp?) of paternity. So what does "signing the BC mean?" BTW, my husband was deployed when the kids were born.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 9:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• for each of my three kids births, in 3 dif states, a hospital rep not a nurse but from records came in and asked me for information for the certificate. My husband never actually signed anything - I did and my name is on each of their birth certificates as the 'Informant' and my husband is the biological father of our three kids.

I think it's meant father signing figuratively.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• That is what they did with me.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• A child's legal father is the mother's husband even if it isn't the bio father.
    If you are married they will put your husband's name on the birth certificate (in my state).
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I know that. I was just curious as to what signing the BC meant.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The BIO-Father is his LEGAL Father, and he goes on the bith cert.
    Anonymous

• When you are married they atomatically don't question it. But if like me, you weren't married, I filled it out and put his last name, but he had to sign "accknowledgement of paternity" which ment that he agrees he is the biological father of the child.
    Anonymous

• Neither of my daughters are married to their long time SO and they have children by them. I just called them both and neither one of the fathers signed anything but they are on the BC so it must have something to do with the state laws.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Did they go into the hospital using the same last name as the dad? I realize you said they ARE NOT married, but I was just wondering if they were going by his last name at the time of their baby's birth?
    Anonymous

• In every state if you are not married the father must sign at Paternity Affidavit. If he does not, you can not put his name on the birth certificate in the hospital and will have to get it amended after discharge. The father does not sign the actual birth certificate paperwork in any case, only the mother does.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 11:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010