When do you think it is okay to lie?

I don't think people should ever lie. I think you can find ways to always tell the truth without being rude or mean. What do you think?

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 9:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think its okay to lie when someone asks me how much I weigh. ;)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I would be lying if I said I agreed with you. Sometimes lying is necessary to protect people's feelings. Sometimes it's used to protect people's lives, or save them. There are a lot of situations where the truth could really do damage.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Besides telling lies to save someone's life I don't think people should lie. If you REALLY cared for someone's feelings why would you lie to them?
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 10:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I don't think lying just to lie is okay but to spare someone's feelings...for example if someone you can't stand who just doesn't get the hint asks you over for a bbq I wouldn't say "Hell no! You drive me crazy!" I'd say "Sorry we have plans that day". Is that lying? I do have plans that day...not to hang out w/ her annoying ass!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When it's a matter of life or death and the truth would be the death option lol. I think truthfulness is important, but not at the expense of something greatly important.

Kimberlyimberea, how much do you weigh? lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Sometimes lying is necassary. I try to stick with the truth, easier to remember, causes less problems in the long run, however some times white lies are better, they keep you from getting overly critical.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Well, I would tell them in a polite way that I didn't feel comfortable being friends with them so I would have to decline. I think bc we are a culture that thrives on lies many people don't feel there is a way to live without telling lies. Some people think that telling lies is a part of human nature. Do you think that could be true? I am not sure if it is learned or not. Kids lie to their parents but how do we really know they didn't see lying pay off for someone else. How do we know that the child didn't learn early on what lying can get them.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 10:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I'd be a hypocrite if I said It's never okay to lie. I generally agree that you should not lie, but I can think of a few times when I truly felt it absolutely necessary to do so, as to not devastate someone when they're already feeling awful. I never lie when it comes to something very important, but maybe to someone down in the dumps over the loss of a job, telling them to keep looking, you'll find one (even if you truly feel that person won't find a job, because of background history).
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Well instead of being critical decline giving your opinion. That spares you from lying but keeps you from coming off as a nag.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 10:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I don't think it is ever okay to lie. If you think disagreeing will cause a problem I think it's okay to remain silent. However, if asked a direct question then you should answer honestly. That doesn't mean you have to be rude or mean. You can still take someone's feelings in consideration. People who know you will know if they ask a question they will get an honest answer. If it is an opinion question, they should respect your opinion.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2010