Hard to let my husband choose our baby's name...

Ok, we are having our 2nd girl, and our first is named December. I don't want a common name for our next baby, but my husband is fighting me every step of the way on this one! A small part of me wants to fight it out until I win, but really I know I should just let him pick this name...but he just picks common names! like emily or sarah...so frustrating!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Make a list of names that you like and tell him he can choose whichever he wants from that list. Thats what we did.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Good luck! Hope it doesn't create a huge problem for you.
    Anonymous

• Wow if that is your biggest worry than you are lucky. Trust me, little Emily or Sarah are going to be a heck of a lot happier with their "common" name (my daughter's name is Emily) than your December is going to be when she is older.

The baby is not just yours, your husband has a right to his opinion as well.
    Anonymous

• if it's really Emily that he wants - how about Emmiline or Emmalyne. Emily Rose Sarah Rose Rosa Bella Bella Rose,
    Lola Rose

Do you mean your first daughter is named December? wow what a different name. I sure can't say that's an ugly name - it's very elegant like Sunday Rose for Nicole Kidman's daughter.
    Anonymous

• Each of you make a list of , say, 15 names. Then swap list and separate then into yes, no, and maybe. Then you can talk about your answers and hopefully come to an agreement.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• You know something I had the weirdest name growing up Megan I am 47 and no one had this name. Ha now there are ten gazillians of them..
    So work out a compromise, You pick the first name and he picks the middle name. Or do the list thing. I had the same problem with my husband when we were expecting our son. We fought tool and nail. It was horrible. I hated him at times. It is a good fight because this kid is named it for the rest of their lives. It should be important to both parents. So make the list of acceptable first names and middle names. Even put an Emily and Olivia on there. You do have to compromise--I am sorry. He can always call her Emily or what ever the middle name is.
    I get to push the big headded kid out I figure it is the least he can do. Meet me in the middle. We gain the weight, loose our shapes so just go for middle ground. You can make it work. I know I did.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Perhaps you can find more pleasing variations of common names or search literature. Shakespeare has great names like Viola and Imogen...I actually knew a girl in school named Juliette.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Why don't you just go with what ever month the next baby is born in ... if it is a type of theme for your family
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i knew a girl named december, she was a waitress at red lobster. it's not that uncommon. i have NEVER met an emily.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010