Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Filing for divorce in TX?

If we agree on everything do we only have to pay the filing fee? Also, where do I get the papers?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • Go to google and search for info about divorce in Texas. You may each have to have lawyers because the court wants to make sure one of you isn't getting taken advantage of. Usually there are forms to calculate child support, you don't get to decide that. There may be visitation guidelines.

    Answer by Gailll at 10:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

  • Psylocke

    Answer by Psylocke at 10:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

  • I know that Travis County has the paperwork on the website, along with directions. If you share property or children it's not quite a snap of the fingers, but as long as y'all agree you can get out with a relatively low cost and low stress level. The only hitch we had is that the judge asked us to write up very specifically how we intended to split property (house, cars, etc) and create an attachment to the paperwork with that information. Then we had to come back the next day. He also joked that we didn't seem all that incompatible which we, of course, RUSHED to assure him we were. :) If you can split up amicably, it's the best thing in the world! Well, second best. A happy marriage would have been the first choice, of course!

    Answer by Avarah at 12:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.