Childs birth certificate?

Okay, so when I had my C-section they had to completely knock me out, my epidural didn't work so I didn't have a choice. When I came to I was still really loopy, yet they proceeded to tell me about his SS card and birth certificate. His SS card came in the mail, but I've yet to get his birth certificate. Did I miss something I was supposed to do while I was loopy? He is 3 months old now, and I have no idea what to do.

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can go to the county courthouse and ask for a copy.

Answer by mom2snsb at 10:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Call the hospital and ask, I don't remember but I think they sent me home with a hospital birth certificate, but if I want and official state one I have to request it.

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I had to go to our government center to pick up my son's. As far as I know they don't mail them to have to pick them up from a courthouse or government center. You can call the hospital and ask.

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Just google your state's birth records, you might be able to ask on the phone. You'll definitely be able to get another raised seal copy.

I had 3 sections with each one of mine the hospital didn't come knocking about the birth certificate ss# for a few days. You can always call the hospital's department that handles that and see what they did. Maybe you were so fussy and out of it they didn't file it.

Answer by lfl at 10:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• With ALL of mine you filled out the information, recieved the SS card and had to send money to get the BC.

• everywhere is different. I got my daughters SS card in the mail and I had to go to the county health department to get a copy of her birth certificate, or I could have mailed the form in and theywould have mailed it to me but I live about 5 mins away and it took about 3 mins to get.

Answer by vickwu at 10:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• lol they dont send birth certificates in the mail only the ss card you have to go pick up the bc wherever they make them where you live probably should of asked about that a little more before you left im sure you were there for a few days

• They DO mail them, however you have to fill out a form in OK it is like an order form. You pay for what you want and in about a month it is in the mailbox. The hospital gave me the forms.

Answer by Jessycwr at 12:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I just had to go to the health dept, pay the fee and I had it in 10 minutes. Google the birth records for your state.

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I got the BC in the mail. For both of my kids. How long ago was your child born? You may need to wait a little longer, or else call the local town hall, or even the records dept at the hospital.

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2010