babay with a fever

My almost8 month old has a 100.1 fever... I checked several times. It goes from 100.1 to 97.5 and back. I gave him a tiny dosage of tylenol. What else can I do?

oddballj

Asked by oddballj at 10:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep an eye on it. 100.1 is not too bad. Is he acting any differently?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It isn't high, so just let him be and make sure it doesn't get higher.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• That isn't bad. Something the dr told us to do with fevers is to give tylenol and then 2 hours after the first does they can have motrin, so that you are alternating medications every 2 hours as needed.
    Anonymous

• He is crying more than usual, but I'm expecting that with him not feeling well. He's eating fine and sleeping the same. Just crying and a fever. I don't have any motrin, I'm going to get some in the morning. Thanks:)
    oddballj

Answer by oddballj at 10:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• where did you atke her temo. cuz that not a fever
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I took HIS temperature on his temple... Where the thermometer says to. Its is a specific thermometer for the temple.
    oddballj

Answer by oddballj at 10:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• do you have a rectal thermometer. i know temple are not that good. did the thermometer come with a guide.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• you can rub him down with a cool cloth if your really worried, the tylenol should help a lot.. just keep him in very light clothing just a onesie or something
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• For that age child 100 is not really a fever. Even 100.4 which is a fever is a low grade. We have to get our 19 month old cathiterized if she gets a fever. 2 weeks ago she had the same temp for 4 days (100) and she ended up having a double ear infection. However, our Dr. said that a low grade fever like that can be caused by molars coming in. DD has also had bouts of screaming in pain for no reason. I have been giving motrin or tylenol, but you really don't have to worry too much until the temp gets up to 102-104. Just give some extra lovin'!! :)
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• You don't even have to treat anything under 100.5. Then you can give the Tylenol. At this age he may be teething and that could cause a mild change in temperature. 98.6 is the "AVERAGE" everyone's temperature fluctuates and not everyone's "normal" temperature is 98.6. Keep an eye on him for other signs and symptoms of illness. If it is teething, the Tylenol, cool teething rings, and baby Orajel can help. We always feel helpless when our child is not feeling well, especially when they are too young to tell us what is wrong.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 11:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2010