• In the Spotlight:

i was just flipping through the channel and...

I came across TLC. Toddlers and Tierra's was playing. Personally I do NOT agree with dressing your child in ridiculous outfits, making them learn routines, spray tans, fake hair, teeth nails, etc. I was wondering does any mom out there really want this life for their child? If not, why is this show on tv still? If no one would watch it, it would be cancelled, and hopefully these kids wouldnt be forced to do these things!

mrsjosey1018200

Asked by mrsjosey1018200 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's a huge business. As long as there are mom's out there living vicariously through their children, there will be a market for all that stuff. The average pageant kid's family spends thousands and thousands of dollars every year on all of the extras and the entry fees, only to win back a few thousand dollars a year - and that's only if they're that good. Just like there will always be a market for sports training camps that take anyone (for a fee of $5000) even if the kid can't tie their shoes without falling over.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I've never actually watched the show, but I've seen previews and watched clips on shows like "The Soup" or "The Dish" that make fun of shows like that. I agree with you, the children on those shows are just too young for spray tans, make-up, and most of the outfits they wear. Not to mention, it seems like the parents put the children in the shows for themselves, not the kids.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I admit that find the show entertaining, but I have no idea why. To each his own I guess. I'm in no place to judge someone else for dolling up their daughter for the purposes of competing. They say it enhances self esteem, gives them more confidence, and helps them to get over the fear of stage freight. I'm sure there may be some truth to that, but I have no idea how much. They can win money and such, but I hear that money usually goes right back into the pagent habit. I dunno where I stand on this one. I think a natural pagent would be ok if I had a daughter, but I probably wouldn't participate in all the high glitz. Plus its just too expensive to do all that stuff.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I do not agree with putting kids in these things- I think there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with it...
    but I have to admit, if I could watch it without hubby complaining I probably would because it would be one of those things you just have to see- like a car wreck everyone slows down to look at you know?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• LMAO @ a car wreck...thats an awesome comparrison!
    lowencope-i agree, it is too expensive of a habit to get into. My sister was a pageant girl. However, when they started alloing children to come in with gobs and gobs of make-up, my mom quit.
    If you have to dress your child up with all that fake stuff, you obviously dont think your child is cute enough to win on their own merit. Personally, i would only curl her hair, or do something cute like that. No extensions!
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Yeah, I am going to wait until my dd is old enough to decide for herself before I get her started with all that. And, even if she decides to go into it, I am NOT letting her wear that much make-up! I'm sorry, but the idea of an 8 y/o little girl with more make-up on her face then her mother kinda sickens me. And am I the only one concerned about how many pedophiles can go to those shows?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• spirit! ick! i dont even want to think about that. that is a very valid point!! and how many more watch the show..eww!!
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i admitt i watch it but because it makes me feel like a great mom. and just to see how much people waste on this crap.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 7:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• that's funny you mentioned this last night, as i actually watched two shows last night for the first time (waiting for dh to get home, too tired to think)..spray tanning 3 yos?? omg! these women have serious issues...and why did the brattiest, (really ugly with all her grownup-hair and lashes/makeup) snottiest, trashiest dressed little girl win? has her momma created a monster or what?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I just don't get how they spend thousands on pageants to get prize money of like $500 that they always say is going to be put away for college. Um... how about take that money you're spending on the pageants and put THAT in a savings account... duh.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2010