Wont drink out of a bottle or cup!

my 11 month old daughter,wont take a bottle nor a "sippie" cup.I breastfeed.This is extremely stressful because I cant leave her with anyone because she wont drink out of her bottle, so i introduced her to a cup.that was a no no too! she throws them on the ground.But however she will drink out of a" big" person cup if they hold it.I will be starting school an a couple of weeks.DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!..HELP!

ChloesMom030509

Asked by ChloesMom030509 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• straw.
    Anonymous

• well she should be eating solids so they can feed her solids in the day and you can stick to breast feeding while your at home with her.. its a little early to cut out the bottle so you can keep offering it for the next month and then just get rid of it and keep offering the sippy cup.. eventually she'll take it
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• if werent going to school it would be a different story but since you will HAVE to be away for hours at a time then you just have to break her in to sippy cups.....get her one with the straw and one with the soft spout. stop giving her the breast, but put breastmilk in the cups. and just give it to her. try each one, she wont let herself go thirsty for long, even if she cries, throws it etc, she will eventually have to drink from it. that would be my solution
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• agree, try a straw cup. When I stopped breastfeeding I went straight to sippy cups,
    Anonymous

• Mine were 9 months when I stopped bf and gave them a cup. Why give them a bottle to break them from when they should drink from a cup now anyways?
    Anonymous

• Why can't she just use a big person's cup? Babies got along just fine for centuries before sippy cups were invented!
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 11:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I agree with 6..... the day care or where ever you send her should be able to stop and make her request for a cup, plus, she'll learn how to use a big person cup alot faster than most kids. My kids were around 2 and 3 before they got big people cups to start trying because before that they would always spill ALOT.
    Anonymous

• I agree go with the cup, ya it will be a bit more mess. Instead of letting her walk around with the cup, give her snack and meal seated and give her a drink. 3 meals and 2 snacks each with a cup of fluids and breastfeeding she will have plenty of fluids. The day care or sitter will just have to work with her on the cup. And you will be amazed at how much she will be willing to do at day care becuase her peers are doing it to. Try not to worry they will figure something out.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• She'll be fine. I agree, let her use a big cup. She doesn't need to walk around with it anyway.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• when my daughter was 7 mnths my milk started to dry up bc i was 4 mnths pregnant. it was horrible. she couldnt drink from anything but me. this went on for over a month. i tried everything in the books, like having someone else feed, and differnt nipples, nothing worked! my advice: just keep offering the bottle or sippy. let her play with it even. remember that babies put everything in their mouth. eventually she might realize "hey i like what is coming out of this thing".
    it got so bad with my daughter that i began to offer her juice in the bottle, as well as formula, bc she was getting dehydrated. i eventually started freezing formula and feeding it to her like water ice, just so she was getting some nourishment! i was running out of ideas! finally one day while she was laying on the floor holding a tiny bottle she began to suck out of it, and from then on she took a bottle. it felt like a miracle!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2010