How do I deal with potty training my 3 year old?

My son Malakai was born at 28 weeks and is a little developmentally delayed. I try my best to get him potty trained but it just seems like he can't make the connection that his poop needs to go into the toilet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

danimom8507

Asked by danimom8507 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It came down to a chart listed with all the days and hours, and when ever my oldest would go, I would put a check mark and that got her going. With my second, she was born early too, and she knew about the potty, but I could tell she was getting lazy about going. I tried the chart, stickers, candy, dances, making a big deal of going, making her clean her messes, making her sit every so often, the whole thing. I finally got to the end of my rope and started giving her a swat on the butt when she wouldn't use the potty and lots of praise when she would go, within a day, she would just go potty at home without saying anything, she'd come tell us she did and we'd praise her, and by the next day she wasn't even doing that! We are still working on night time, we are doing the no drink 2 hours before bed, trying to potty before bed, but she still wets the bed. So I figure she may just not be ready for that yet. By the way she's 2.
    Anonymous

• If he is trained other wise, at night and during the day, spend some extra time with him and watch him closely. He should give a gront, or start to squat when he needs to go poop. When you see this take him straight to the toliet. reward him with something special he likes. Don't yell (too much) or desipline him for pooping in his under wear just tell him big boys don't do that and praise him for being a big boy when he does go. hope that helps
    mommabear53

Answer by mommabear53 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I would start reading him stories about going potty.. it might be easier to get the concept if he can see it and understand it and then try to apply it... as well as having him try to sit and go potty while your in the bathroom
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Punishment and potty-training should never cross paths. My son also doesn't connect the dots, but now knows AFTER he has pooped. He's 34 months and we will start trying again on the potty in a couple of months. We "try" every 3-4 months. He seems to gain a bit of "data" each time, like how to say when he's wet/pooped, but not enough yet to catch it ahead of time. He has to understand before he can do it. If he doesn't get it now, don't worry, eventually he will. My niece wasn't trained until 4 y/o.

PS-Have you looked into the 3-day potty training method? It's great for hints. Didn't work in 3 days for us, but there are other issues at work. However the concept is wonderful. Will use this when we try again.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2010