How to keep your kid in bed?

He's gotten out about ten times. He usually only does it twice. I've spanked and put him on time out but he won't stay in bed and he needs to sleep! He's two..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• keep putting him back in bed. don't spank him. don't talk to him. just lead him by his hand or pick him up and put him back in bed. as many times as it takes. Eventually he will stay.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• yeah, I agree with outstanding. just don't let it get to you. he'll get tired enough and he'll get it that you aren't going to let him stay up. It is frustrating, but eventually he'll give up!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Duct tape solves so many of life's little issues...
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Honestly- wtf would you spank a two year old for not wanting to be in bed, that doesn't help at all except it'll make them not trust you, and depending on the developemental age he probably doesn't understand timeouts.. be a parent.. if he gets out and you want him in then the first few times you cater and do what he needs like water or bathroom and then just keep putting him back to bed, after a while he'll get the idea, try being a parent, spanking him for not wanting to sleep is idiotic!
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Keep putting him back to bed. You can also use a baby gate to block the door and or put door knob covers on the knobs so he can't turn them. My oldest had a phase of getting out of bed. I would put him back two or three times then leave to go watch tv downstairs, putting a gate up at the stairs. I would find him sleeping in the hallway or near the steps. After a week or 2 he gave up.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• i agree that spanking will not help, but honestly...jan0609momma i think you went overboard and attacked the poster. nothing is solved by doing so.

also, i agree with the other posters that say to just keep putting him to bed. i like the baby gate idea. also, maybe there is a reason it is so hard for him tonight than other nights. i would just keep trying. if it becomes consistent than i would look into other means to get him to bed.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:32 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• You just have too keep putting them back in bed, I feel your pain I'm eight months pregnant and my son has gotten out of bed a million times but you just put them back in bed a leave the room again and you do it until they get the point that you aren't going to let them get out of bed so they might as well just go to sleep. And I also agree that a spanking for getting out of bed is a bit unnecessary and I generally agree with spankings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Lol, the first thing that sprang to my mind when I saw the question is duct tape. And I see someone else has the same messed up sense of humor that I do.
    Ok seriously, now. I would not actually duct tape my child to his bed. In case you were getting worried. The first couple of times I will do what he asks Bathroom, sip of water, whatever. After that, I just keep putting him back to bed. If he starts thinking that's funny, I have once or twice locked him in the room. That actually worked a lot better. He tried to open the door for a little while, gave up, and went back to bed. Just remember to unlock the door later. A locked door all night is not safe.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My daughter will get out of bed all night if let her, she always wants to sleep in my bed, I just tuck her back in and say good night and leave. Spankings or time outs could make your child more riled up and actually less likely to go to sleep...

The nights when I close the door (not all the way, it's still open a crack if she NEEDS to get out) my daughter stays in bed better than the nights when I leave the door wide open. You might try closing it and see if it helps.

- Good luck!

MomaDucky

Answer by MomaDucky at 2:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't care if my son gets out of bed to be honest, I just make sure there's nothing in his room that he could hurt himself with (well for the most part... we all know kids could hurt themselves with bread) and if I hear him playing in there I let him be, he'll figure it out on his own. If he won't stay in the room you could put up a baby gate so he can open the door but not get out or you could do what I do and put a child proof door knob cover... I do this because if I need to rush in his room I don't want a gate blocking my way, but he can't open the door himself while we're all asleep and hurt himself in the rest of the house.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 4:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2010