Do you think most prisoners are repeat offenders??

Or do you think their lesson is learned after the first time? Do you think some of the prisoners are falsely accused?? I believe there has been a few men and woman in prison for being falsely accused of a crime that they didnt commit. It bothers me that the men/woman have been exonerated but the time lost is what hurts the most. They cant get that time back :(... Im not saying thay are all falsely accused!!!!

I asked this question because I have a family member who just got out of jail for the 6th time in his life.... His reason for returning back was for the same exact reason each and everytime. Its kinda confusing to me.... Well anyway........ IDK....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a fact. Many are repeat offenders. Statistics show that. It's pretty sad...you think they'd learn their lesson, ya know?
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I can see being at the wrong place, keeping your mouth shut, taking the fall. There is a 3 strikes out rule in some statea. He is on his sixth charge. wake up and smell the coffee. I have never been arrested, my family or my friends.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 1:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think the amount of falsely accused people in jail is a very small percentage. Most are repeat offenders. I read somewhere that on average, a criminal commits a crime 19 times before he is arrested for it. That means 19 burglaries, assaults, stolen cars, etc. for every one arrest. Then in some states, they slap their hands, give them 30-90 days because the jail is full, and they go back out and do it again.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think a lot of them are repeat offenders trying to get a free bed, 3 good meals a day, cable tv and a nice gym that has full access. I mean hell, where do I sign up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Most of the people I arrest already have criminal records, so yes, I believe the ones that actually end up in jail are recidivists.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Repeat offenders. It's the only life they know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Well, your questions enframes a wide variety of people, circumstances, instances, events, etc. If you narrow it down a notch, maybe I could answer it appropriately. If you maybe class drug offenders, sex offenders, murders, etc, together it would be better understood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Yes, most prisons are full of repeat offenders, also most crimes are commited as a result of drug or alchahol dependancy ( this issues are not addressed in prisons, in fact narcotics are more available in prison than on the street) when an offender is released they have criminal records which limit their capability of getting decent employment and as such they return to the "quick money" . Remember there is a large Gang mentality in prisons , with rankings being achieved through constant incarceration ( gained through commiting crimes on the street) . I worked in a drug and alchahol rehab facility for offenders on Parole and only about 4 out of 100 ever managed to actually stay out of prison. Invariably they would go back for exactly the same offence that put them in prison in the first place.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 1:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Majority are repeats...and of course most if not all claim innocence
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Yes, aside from those in for white collar crimes, I'm sure that is true
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2010