Have you heard about the changes that are being considered for text books?

LOS ANGELES — A textbook review process taking place in states across the country has changed or eliminated references to everything from the Founding Fathers (search) to hot dogs, leaving many to charge educators with distorting history in the name of political correctness.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,85594,00.html (posting in 1st reply)

agentwanda

Asked by agentwanda at 12:47 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sue Stickel and shes in California well there ya go lol

seriously it said from both sides ..I think its insanity ..political correctness gone stupid..'founding fathers' to 'the framers' how lame..all because some worry that it might offended females? REALLY? I doubt its that offensive and if it is get over it they WERE men.So lets not teach real history is the idea? ...

yep dumbing down America
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:47 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Some of them are ridiculous. I mean MountRushmore is a real monument, it should be in the book. I think they should leave in what is historically accurate. We need to quit being offended by everything.

Like if Native Americans worse long braids, then put in long braids. It's stupid to replace the truth with something inaccurate because we might offend someone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• In the previous answer it was meant to be wore, not worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I am very disturbed by it. Taking out founding fathers, referencest to the holocost. Lots of changes.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• i can understand wanting to make books more diverse, but to me that means using pictures of all ethnicities for the filler pictures...not removing history. and im all for removing sexism, but the "framers" were men...its not sexist to call them men! i understand why they took "devil" out...what kinda text book needs that word?

and dont even get me started on the "snowperson" one...stupid. its crap like this that makes me want to be a history teacher so bad! the books may be PC pieces of crap, but the teacher doesnt have to be...at least not at the level in the article!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Simple solution - each kid in the country gets 2 textbooks - one from CA that's pc-ified, and one from TX that's Christ-ified. Between the two they can find a nice balance of whacko extremism and then learn actual useful knowledge when they finally get to college.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Yeah 'snowperson' LOL how ridiculous does that sound?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:25 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Yeah, it is getting pretty ridiculous. Did you guys watch the special about text books, it was an hour long thing and they went through all the crap in the books?
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/99268/fox-news-specials-do-you-know-what-textbooks-your-children-are-really-reading

If you are interested in watching it.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I have heard that you can go to LC dot org (website for the Liberty Counsel) to keep up with the changes as well as make your voice heard.

It is unbelievable that people in this country, (people who control what our children learn, no less!) would think that it is perfectly acceptable to disregard and dismiss such an important part of our history! They are thinking of leaving out Independence Day, reference to Nathan Hale (replaced with the man who invented the fireman's helmet!??!!!), Christmas (replaced with Do*all*lee {don't know how to spell it, just heard it pronounced, don't know what it is beyond that it is some obscure holiday from somewhere...}) As an American, this is UNACCEPTABLE.

And, the kicker? There are 15 people on the board in Texas. They need 8 to agree to these changes, and then that is what will be. EIGHT people can make the decision that your children will know all about *do-all-lee*.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:44 AM on Feb. 7, 2010