What is the earliest you can start to potty train a child?

Cappy1979

Asked by Cappy1979 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I started at age 2 (27 months). She was fully trained (nighttime too) by 33 months.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• well, that depends on what style you want to do.
    i toilet taught my son the same way most parents do. We started when he was 18 months and he was fully toilet learned (all night too) by the time he was 27 months.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:53 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It depends on the child and if he/she is ready. I waited till my son was ready and that was at 3 years and 2 months old. He potty trained completely (all night as well) in 2 wks.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I waited until my daughter was ready and willing. She was about 2 1/2 and was completely trained (yes even at night) within 3 days because I WAITED UNTIL SHE WAS READY. Don't worry about how early, worry about understanding the signs that your child is ready for it.
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 1:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Whenever you like. With my first, I waited and waited. Finally at almost 3, he trained within a couple of weeks, although now almost 2 years later, I still cannot put him to bed without a pullup. My second I started at 16 months. Very slowly. He trained, with no pressure from me, starting at about 23 months, and is completely pee trained at 26 months. Still waiting for #2, lol. Third one, well she absolutely detests being wet. She'll tell me as soon as she is wet, and sometimes she'll let me know even a little before. She's gone on the potty a few times. She'll be six months next week. I don't intend to push her at all, but I think she might potty learn before the age of one year. And some moms start at birth. From what I've learned about EC (started researching because of DD), I think I may try that next time.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2010