Do you cosleep? I'm pregnant and don't know if I will or not.

Why or why not ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes we co-slept with all 3 of our children, it started off with our first who had breathing problems for a short period, so we brought him to our bed and took all the blankets off the bed, we both felt better about being able to open our eyes and see his chest rising ( i cant tell you how many nights i lay awake watching that little chest move up and down), then it just became habit .

It made breastfeeding all of my kids much easier and i loved the snuggles. My boys went to their own bed when i became pregnant again they were both around age 3 when they left the bed but would come back here and there. My youngest is still in my bed most nights and she is 5, i dont mind she is the last one and love having her cuddle up with me. she always wakes up with a smile on her face giving me a big hug and saying good morning mommy i love you. I am willing to stick it out while it lasts :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I've never had a baby but i used to cosleep with my stepson. We both really enjoyed it and when my boys are sick i cosleep. It's bonding. And i can keep an eye on them if they don't feel well.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• NO - My DD has a beautiful room and a lovely bed she can sleep in. Plus, she goes to bed 3 HOURS before DH and I do. What would be the point of co sleeping anyway then? There are nights she may come in our room at 3 or 4 am. Once in a while that's okay with us.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• When i do have a baby i do plan on room sharing (it's like cosleeping but on different beds).

And you don't have to go to bed at the same time your child does to cosleep. The point of co sleeping is to teach your child that you are always there! Studies have shown many benefits to cosleeping. I can find some links, if you'd like.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I mention bedtime for I'd never leave my DD unattended, sleeping in our bed. It's quite high off the ground, and she does gymnastics in her sleep. lol When she's fallen out of her toddler bed those few times, she hasn't been hurt.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• No way! Sleep is my personal time, and I need to spend it alone (or with DH!). Im with DD all day everyday, so its my way of taking a break from her. She goes to sleep around 8pm, where as I dont go to sleep until 11pm or later.
    She did sleep with us for about the first two months of her life. I decided against co-sleeping when I woke up to see DH almost roll on top of her. We are both super heavy sleepers, so I am very thankful I woke up in time to rescue her!!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Oh and for the question that always comes up, yes i get alone time with my DH, I managed to have two more babies after the first so co-sleeping really doesnt interfere with "personal" time. you get creative, you take advantage of the kids napping in another room, it works out and its not hard to work around it.

We have never rolled over on our kids both DH and i are very aware in our sleep of where our kids are, Dh can hear one of the kids on the second floor move in their bed, he normally hears if anyone is sick before i do. He is just very aware of everything around him lol, I always teased that he had super daddy senses.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I cosleep all three of mine for the most part. Not every night, every kid. Sometimes they do sleep in their own beds or fall asleep on the couch. I didn't plan on cosleeping, it just felt very natural with breastfeeding through the night. I really enjoy it, but do suggest a king size upgrade! I started out each baby however in a bassinet and didn't colseep them until they outgrew the bassinet or needed to be next to me. I don't suggest cosleeping first home from the hospital tiny newborns while you are still exhausted. You will know what is right for you when the time comes and you will still want a crib anyway for naps.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't actually cosleep, I don't sleep well with a child in bed with me, and neither does my husband. But the bassinet goes in our room, right up to the edge of the bed on my side. So my baby is still only like a foot away from me until she outgrows the bassinet. Unfortunately, our room isn't big enough for a crib. When the kids are sick, or wake up from a nightmare or something, we let them sleep with us, though. Our middle child just had bronchiolitis and would wake up wheezing and gasping for air, so I felt much better having him in bed with us for the one night that it was really bad.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I never did the co-sleep thing. As far as studies go, there are an equal amount that say co-sleeping has benefits and co-sleeping has disadvantages for both mother and child. I used a bassinet until they were 4 months old and then they went to their cribs in their own rooms. Both of my children are great sleepers and never suffered any kind of detachment issues because they sleep alone.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2010