Bathtime question

I feel weird asking this question, but how can I teach my nineteen months old son to properly wash himself down there? He does not like it when I wash him up, but I am afraid he will not properly wash himself. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to stop. But he acts uncomfortable when I wash him up. Should I be having his father do this? Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. I do not want my son feeling uncomfortable! Nor do I understand why he would be acting uncomfortable, aside from the fact it's an senstive area.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I highly disagree with misicholli .. Answers like hers are why children greatly underestimate their abilities. Children understand a lot more then people give them credit for. Children as young as infancy DO understand something that makes them uncomfortable and what doesn't. They know what scares them and what doesn't. It irritates me to no end when people say "They're too young to understand", because they're not. Children are soo much more perceptive then adults are, they see things a lot more clearly then we do. As they haven't had environment to sway them into believing certain things.

My son used to close his legs and turn away from me when I tried to apply diaper rash cream. I don't apply it often, as he rarely gets a rash, but when I did he would act uncomfortable. It is because they're starting to notice their parts and the different feelings. It IS uncomfortable for them for someone else to touch down there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My DD is 3 and I still wash her body. I don't trust her to fully wash properly yet. My DH and I switch off giving her baths, so she has been comfortable with us both doing it. If you think your son may be more comfortable with daddy, then have him do it for a while.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I have a 19 mth old too, and they are not developmentally able to be uncomfortable in the ways that we think. He's probably not embarassed or anything, he is just starting to realize that he is a seperate person than you, and may be trying to show his independence. Maybe it just feels strange and he doesn't know how to react. You can certainly have daddy give him baths too, but don't make him feel badly about his body. Both DH and I bathe our daughter, and hubby is totally comfortable doing it because he's the Dad. Kids will start to ask for privacy around 4 or 5 years.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 1:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• (Contin) Toddlers as young as a year old start playing down there, investigating, because they realized that there's something down there. It's natural for a child to feel nervous, uncomfortable, or hesitant about a parent washing them down there, or applying rash cream. It's different for them as they get older compared to infancy, and it's natural for them to not want a parent to do it. Just talk to him about it. Ask him if he'd rather have Daddy wash him down there, or if he'll allow you to teach him how to do it himself. It's probably best to go ahead and teach him. You'll be there to guide him and make sure he does it right.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2010