What are some effective teaching strategies to reach my ADHD 8-year old son?

Legos

Asked by Legos at 1:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Standing instead of being forced to sit or using a weighted lap belt or vest if he has sensory issues.

Hands on materials, full body involvement. So for instance math games where you jump to answers, math counters etc...

Lots of touching and moving hands on learning would probably be great. Every child is different though.

Just think about him and what he likes and does not like and go from there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/

Answer by rkoloms at 11:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I recommend the book "you mean I'm not crazy, lazy or stupid" its a wonderful book for the ADD/ADHD person and the parent.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My son who has ADHD (he is NOT ADHD) learns best in small groups and by handson activities, he does NOT work well with textbooks and worksheets. It also helps if he is interested in the subject being taught. He has a mind like a sponge when it is something he is interested in. Also, once he knows a skill, he does not like to keep repeating that he knows it, he wants to move on.

I am in an Abnormal Psych class and we are learning to NOT call a person by their disease but that the person has a disease. Not, my ADHD son but my son who has ADHD. It is all about how labels follow a person even after their disorder or disease is gone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would agree with all of the above. My son needs constant redirection. Keep the work load light. He is easily overwhelmed even if he knows the material. Give sensory breaks to do some jumping jacks, stretching, breathing etc. You will need these as much as he does. Try not to let him engage you in a fight when he gets angry and frustrated. Capitalize on his strengths. My son has a great memory and an insatiable curiosity. If he gets distracted and starts asking a lot of questions when he should be doing his math, I tell him to finish a row and we can google his question. He finishes what he is supposed to do and we satisfy his curiosity for who invented peanut butter or whatever. Good luck and try to stay patient.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2010