Why are so many young girls getting pregnant?

I mean, seriously. What the hell is the rush here? I am not judging. I got pregnant as a teen too, but still I don't get it. It seems like more and more girls fourteen, fifteen and sixteen, are getting pregnant and then wanting to be married on top of that...WTF? Why can't they just be kids and have fun instead of rushing head-long into the world of adults? I don't get it.

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 1:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I work in a middle school and that is a question that I have asked some kids at random. A lot of them believe that they are invincible. A lot of them didn't know and understand the dangers of STD's and the hardships of being a young parent, especially when their own parents are struggling to support and provide for them. But many are getting pregnant because of the fact that parents are not parents any more. A lot of these kids are latchkey, they are on their own for a good portion of the day and night. Their parents are working two or more jobs for those who have both parents, and then you have some parents that literall call the school and tell the school that they dont know what to do with their kids. Then you have families where the mom is barely 30 and has 7-8 small children. There are so many different factors that are playing into these young pregnancies, a big one is the grown men that their mothers are dating.
    pebbleschild

Answer by pebbleschild at 10:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I agree. I didn't have a kid until I was 26. I did a lot in my youth. There is plenty of time to have kids. Once you have them, you are a PARENT, and your youthful freedoms really are gone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I was a pregnant teen too at 17. I got married at 17 and was married 8 months before I got prego. I have been married to this wonderful man for 3 and a have years and in 4 days we will be together for 7 years! Anyway to answer your question, I think its because we have no dads! My dad was barely in my life and EVERY girl I know that has had a kid has had a dad either out or half way in there life. We are looking for something to make us feel loved. We get married to have a man in our life that will love us. I do wish I would have taken it slower but I wouldnt change a thing now. That is just my hypothesis.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 1:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't think it's just now that teens are getting pregnant, my mom got pregnant as a teen.. and so did alot of her friends, now shes almost 50. i think it just get more noticable as the years pass.

I've heard the psych about not having dads, im not sure if i can believe that 100%.. i had my dad, he did everything he could and was amazing and great..but i still had sex as a teen and got pregnant. i know other girls who didnt' have a father around and didn't have sex young.. it just depends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I understand what you are saying anonymous. I think that planned teenage babies are because of no dads, not accidental sex babies. My son was definitely planned and so were about 5 other teenage fatherless girls pregnancies.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 1:53 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• because they're having sex, duh.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Maybe they are feeling pressured into being adults so they feel they are ready for such things-
    I've heard through the grapevine of a scary trend. Teens feeling that they aren't ready to go away to college so they get pregnant with the idea that they won't have to go-

scary-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Some believe that a baby would solve everything. Fill that void in their life, be someone to give them constant love, and just give them something to always take care of and love back.

Others are bored and stupid.

Some are pressured by everyone else seemingly doing it, so they have sex as well and the ultimate consequence happens.

Some are pressured by their boyfriends/girlfriends into having unprotected sex.

A lot of it has to do with lack of proper education on the whole process and result of said process. Generally schools anymore teach abstinance and they don't teach about the body, sex, or the consequences and results of sex. Which leads to a bunch of hormonal, uneducated teens going out and boinking one another. Which in turn causes teen pregnancies.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:02 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• One word, parenting. The daddy issue is not true for everyone. My father wasn't in my life and I didn't have kids or sex until I was an adult. It's all about how you were raised. Being raised in a broken or unbroken family doesn't have much to do with it.
    ArianaRiRi

Answer by ArianaRiRi at 2:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I got married at 16, got pregnant 9 months later at 17, had my baby at 18 and I'm now 20 with a 2nd baby.

I honestly always wanted children from the time I was very young. I remember talking to my friends when I was 13 or 14 about how badly I wanted a baby. It's sounds stupid to me now because there is no way I was ready for a baby then but because of my family situation I grew up before my time. I had other friends who got pregnant in high school but they were typical "it's all about the attention, what's best for me not the baby, drama" teen moms. I wasn't like that. We made sure we could provide for them without the help of others.

Both of our babies were planned and it was just right for us. I have NO REGRETS what so ever. Things have worked out great for us but that's not how it works for most.

I don't know why we decided to start our family earlier than most but I believe it was God's plan.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Feb. 7, 2010