How can some people be so closed minded?!!??!

I was dating this wonderful guy who has a son with autism. Things were going great. Then some how we got on the subject of same sex marriage. He said all gay people are sick and can't adopt(yes they can!!!!) then asked me "would you still love and support YOUR son if he was gay?"
Hell ya I would!!!
What an @$$HOLE!!!

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 2:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is very sad to me that people are still that close minded. I think when its a friend who thinks that way it is easier to just avoid the subject, but when it is someone you are growing a relationship with then that is a hard thing to deal with. At that point you start to wonder how namy other things you both feel strongly about that are opposite.

There are some subjects that you can not agree on and still have a very good relationship, but others are deal breakers especially if it shows a side of them that makes you rethink their good traits.

Sorry it didnt work out, from your previous post you seem to really like him.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think people have a tendency to say that sort of thing i the 'what if' situations. My mother and sister were on a big trip for a long time about how gays need to understand their place in the world, and if my brother said he was gay that they would be devastated and I should too! they went on and on...........

guess who's gay? my sister!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• He was such a great guy! Then he's like, well if any of your gay friends come over, I'm not coming over and I don't want them around my son because I don't want him turning gay and what can gay parents teach their kids? How to be gay? OMFG, What an asshole!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I even tried to close the subject and said,"We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this". He kept going on and on about how sick gay people are and they should have their asses kicked on a daily basis and how them and their children are "abominations" and blah blah blah....
    I was trying to do the adult thing and change the subject. I wish it would have worked out, but I don't see it doing that. I am upset about it of course. It's probably for the better though.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Some people were taught to be prejudiced from their parents. Maybe he can't help the way he feels because that's what he was taught was the right way to feel.

It isn't so easy to just change your opinion on some things. You can't just wake up one morning and say to yourself "I'm just not going to hate gay people anymore", unfortunately.

If he feels that being gay is wrong in his heart, that's just who he is. ...it doesn't mean that the way he feels is right but that's just who he is...take him or leave him.

Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 2:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• BTW...my FIL is gay and he is a great parent/grandparent. I am not racist or prejudiced at all.

Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 2:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• On the subject of your relationship...you made the right decision by breaking it off. It's best to find someone with the same morals and standards that you believe.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 2:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Thanks!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Oh gosh, I am so sorry he turned out to be so close minded. I used to date a guy just like that and I wasted 2 years on him before I met my hubby of 23 years. You made the right decision to break it off and not waste your time with a person who hates. You deserve a kind person like yourself.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Hey, even "great guys" have their flaws, no one is perfect. And being that their "so great" their flaws seem like a black dot on the white wall....good luck. But I do understand your anger.
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 3:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2010