First and third combo party...

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to make my two youngest daughter's birthday party super awesome. My youngest, October, is turning 1 and my second youngest, Elliot Elizabeth is turning 3, and since their birthdays are a week apart, I've decided to combine them. Finances are tight, so I've decided that I'm going to make the cakes myself. I was thinking of maybe purple cupcakes with pink frosting for Elliot, and something a little more baby friendly for October (maybe a banana cake?). If anyone has party theme ideas or cake recipes, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance, ladies!

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 4:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ok here is my thought not trying to be mean but why combine their parties? Your birthday is supposed to be your special day and having to share it seems a bit unfair, have 2 small parties. You can even do a family only party for the 1 year old. Anyways, I would stick to a fall sort of theme that has both in mind, apples, school buses, leaves etc. I just use cake mix for our DD's cakes, any cake is baby friendly and fun for them in the end. Really think over what I said. Maybe next year start a bday fund so you won't have to make them share.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• There's actually several reasons we're doing the combo birthday. I know it seems kind of mean, but my oldest daughter also shared her first birthday, and in fact all her birthdays, with her cousin. First of all, it's expensive to do two birthday parties one right after another (October's birthday is the 18th, Elliot Elizabeth's is the 26th... similarly, my oldest daughter, Miette's, birthday is December 27th and my nieces birthday is the 6th of January. Also, we have a lot of family that has to come several hours for parties, and because of their finances, they'd have to chose which party was more important to them... they wouldn't be able to drive, get a hotel, and then drive back, plus gifts, etc two times in one week. Miette and my niece really enjoy their parties being combined, and I hope that October and Elliot feel the same way.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 7:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would combine the party! i would go and let them pick out some plates and such they dont have to match! I did this for my 3 and 5 year old they had a blast. I usually make cup cakes and since I have a boy and girl I decorated some girly and some boyish. It is okay dont feel bad! They will have a blast no matter what!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:02 AM on Feb. 7, 2010