17mo: which carseat best

I had a Chicco infant carrier carseat; worked perfect. Although it can hold up to 30#, my 17mo DD is 21# and is a little longer than average (legs) and I was worried that I was keeping her "infantile" if I continued with the infant carrier. So I got a Safety First Air carseat but it will only fit forward not rear facing. The first one fits perfectly in car as rear and I doubt she'll get up to 30# before she's 2. But I know she'll keep getting longer. The Safety First Air seat looks great and secure, but she is low in weight and its not rear facing. What would you do?? I don't know who to ask?

babygirl821

Asked by babygirl821 at 6:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would keep her in her infant seat until she has outgrown the seat (until she either hit's 30lbs or has less than an inch of shell above her head)
    Why won't her Safety First fit rear facing? Have you had a tech look at it? I would have someone look at it... it should fit fine... if you can get a good install then I would move her to her convertible because she would probably me more comfortable and have more room for her legs.
    Either way I would keep her rear facing MUCH longer
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Keeping her "infantile". I don't know what you mean by that.

You want to keep the child rear facing as long as possible no matter how long their legs are. Go by weight. Watch the videos on Youtube and you can see how children can break their necks in minor accidents if they aren't in rear facing car seats. There haven't been problems with broken legs from big babies/toddlers in rear facing seats. If a child does break a leg it can be fixed, if a child dies from a broken neck that can't be fixed.

My grandson is 16 mo. With our tax check I am going to buy him one of the extended rear facing car seats. I think there is one that goes up to 50 pounds. He is under 20 pounds now so I might only go 35 pounds. It will probably be a long time before he is 35 pounds and they keep making better seats.

We have an older minivan an it is fantastic for carseats. Ours only cost $600 and we have had it over 2 years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• take her to the store and see how she fits in the seats.

but she's 21pounds, and over 1 - turn her around.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• She is definantly still in the range for rear facing, so I would go for that! do you have a smaller car that won't fit your new seat rearfacing or does it just not install well?
    kalarachel

Answer by kalarachel at 1:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would say to either get a True Fit Premier (TFP) or a My Ride 65 (MY, MY65). The TFP has an antirebound bar in it and has a pretty tall shell. The MY rear faces to 40 lbs but has a shorter shell. Extended Rear Facing is much safer! Just b/c the law says it is ok to turn them forward facing at 1 yr and 20 lbs does not mean it is what is safest!!
    DarciMykell

Answer by DarciMykell at 4:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2010