My two-year-old daughter has sucked her fingers since she was a baby. Is there a way to make a child stop this behavior?

jasot

Asked by jasot at 6:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's still so small, I don't think you need to do anything yet.I know there is something you can put on their fingers and it's non-toxic, I heard about it a long time ago.' I used to suck my finger as a young-young child and just stopped. I've seen many just stop, it's self soothing & that's not a bad thing.Unless they are hurting themselves. I just don't see the need to do anything at this point.Just my opinion.

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 7:05 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• my daughter was a thumb suckeri started at first just pointing out when she had her fingers in her mouth. that cut down some of it. tehn i told her i was sure she was tired when she sucked her thumb and started givging her the choice to stop sucking or taking a nap. after a bit everytime i saw her with her fingers in her mouth she had to go lay down.she got to the point that she would go to her room to suck her thumb and i left the intervention there. she quit on her own after a little while cause staying in your room is no fun.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 7:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• remember she's still little. my little girl did that all the time and now she only does it when she is sleepy. is a comfort to her. kinda like a blanket or favorite toy. i am sure she will stop but on her own.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• There is this contraption that a couple of kids in our daycare has worn to break the habit. Its almost like a plastic cast sort of thing that goes down onto their fingers and makes it impossible for them to put in their mouth.

I think you are smart for already thinking about breaking her...I know she is still young but I know its harder to break them from fingers than a paci....so I would go ahead and think about starting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• at this young age I would let it go.. however if she still doing it at 4.. lemon juice or you can find stuff at the store to help stop nail biting.. when she's older you can tell her if she stops biting her nails she can have nail polish
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 7:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My 4 y/o still sucks her thumb. She only when she is upset or sleepy. Just let it go, her fingers are her comfort item.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I pop my 2 year olds thumb out of her mouth during the day and put a toy in it. I tell her she can't talk and play with her thumb in her mouth. My goal is to get her only sucking her thumb while sleeping by age 3.5
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I sucked on my fingers til I was 10 or so before I stopped. I have two dds one will be 8 in March and one just turned 3 and they both do it. We've been pointing it out to both of them when we see it but I don't think you can force them to stop until they're ready to do it!
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 9:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My dd did just this same thing I asked my dr about it he said he did it until he was quite old. My other dd who's32 really bugged her that her sister was sucking her thumb so when my granddaughter started sucking her thumb she was told to out a sock on her hand at night. This did stop her but she wasn't into like my dd was(who's now 8 and just stopped within the last 4 months) My dd did it all the time day and night so a sock wouldn't of helped her any.
    I really think it's a personal choice if you want her to stop then stop her if it doesn't bug you then don't.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Personally, I sucked my two fingers or thumb until the age of 8 and then on my 8th birthday decided I was too big and just quit on my own. I only sucked them in bed at night. My son is 4 and only sucks his thumb when he is laying in bed or very, very sick. I don't pressure him because I know one day he will decide he's too old for it and quit on his own. I've never encouraged it, or discouraged it. My 9 month old doesn't have any attachments to his thumb or fingers and has found a blanket to pacify himself. If you pressure, it sometimes gets worse, I would let them work it out. My teeth aren't crooked from it and I'm almost 30 with no cavities, my son's oral hygeine is just as good.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2010