dog and baths

How many times a month or week do you give your dog a bath? do they smell good or still stink?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 7:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Some dogs never need baths. It depends on the breed and what kinds of things they do.

There are dogs that seem to smell bad even if clean. I don't know what the problem is, maybe dental or impacted fecal glands. The kind of dog you can smell across the room & you don't want in your house. That kind of dog would need a consult with a groomer or vet to see if there is any hope.

You don't want to wash dogs too much or they can get skin problems. Dogs can be just rinsed off if they have gotten dirt on them. Be careful about cold water and chilling the dog. Use warm water. Pick an unscented hypoallergenic dog shampoo.

I wouldn't wash a dog more than 4 times a year just for the heck of it. You can find breed specific info online. In one city we lived in our vet ran grooming specials 2 times a year for $10 baths & nail trims and exams and we would do that.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:33 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• We have 2 dauchshunds and a lab, the Dauchshunds I wash about every 2 months and clean their glands out when I do, because doxies are too long to reach their own hind ends to do it themselves lol. They have very short coats and don't smell unless they have found something to roll in.... yuck! Our lab we have to wash once or twice a month, durring the summer we keep her shaved then we dont have to wash her as much.
    ShotCaller

Answer by ShotCaller at 8:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• wow... I was critters once a week. condition coat, keep the house smelling pet free.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• BTW Gaill- yes, it most definitely CAN cause skin probs if you are a negligent owner. But a little teartee shampoo followed by an aloe rinse prevents more problems than frequent washing can cause. No need for chemical flea dip, or for treatment of hotspots, dry skin, etc.
    Animals that sleep inside should be washed more frequently. to prevent things like ringworm (which is a FUNGUS, easily picked up from playing outside) from manifesting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It is not good to bath them to often because that will strip the oils in their coat. In the winter, I don't bath them as often nless they smell really bad, maybe every 2 months. In the Summer, they are bathed a lot more. Probably to often but when they spend so much timein the lake and in a cow field they reek.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Mine keep killing things and rolling in the carcass. So they get a bath after every kill. If they are messing themselves up frequently and getting a bath more than 1x weekly, I do a deep condition on them.

A shampoo with citrus oil will really remove the stench. Citrus oil is also a natural flea repellent and anti-bacterial.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It really depends on what type of shampoo you are using on them. I have two Pitbulls and they get a bath about once a month. During the winter it's less. If you wash them with a flea shampoo then you shouldn't wash them more than once a month. If you are using a conditioning shampoo that doesn't have a lot of chemicals in it then you can wash them more often. If you want you can call a groomer or your vet and they should be able to tell you exactly what you are wanting to know.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I bathe mine every week or two depending on how dirty/smelly they get. They are inside dogs, but when it is nice out they do spend a lot of time outside playing.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My dog gets sprayed down with a hose and towel-dried almost everyday. We run together on muddy trails, so this is a necessity.

She gets a "soapy" bath once a week, or twice if she gets really muddy. I use a gentle oatmeal-based doggie shampoo that doesn't dry out her skin.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Hello well let me start of by saying all dogs do need a bath and dogs will smell like a dog bec they are dogs, I have a shih tzu and a bull terrier the shih tzu I bath about every 2 to 3 weeks bec he gets dirty quick bec of his hair and my bull terrier I bath about every 6 wks by dogs are inside dogs and only go out to pee and poop dogs shouldn't be bathed so often bec the skin can get dry and it will cause itchiness and irritation and the dog might end up needing medication.... If u have any questions feel free to email me I'm a veterinary technician
    bxmommy2be

Answer by bxmommy2be at 10:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2010